Swedish Flower Hen Thread

Well it's a no go on our baby chicks. Candled all of them today and none are viable or even looked fertile to any extent (after almost 2 weeks of being sat on between the 2 hens). We do on occasion get a fertile egg so it was possible... but I guess it was more of a hormonal change for the chickens themselves as previously mentioned.

That stinks. :(

What do you mean you get a fertile egg "on occasion"?

Broodyness is definitely hormonal. But if you have a rooster in with your hens, I would expect most of your eggs to be fertilized. :confused:

Some of our eggs are obviously fertile with a little red spot. We have seen other pictures of fertile eggs that don't have a red spot, but another kind of "mark" on the yolk that I wouldn't necessarily notice. Maybe our rooster isn't very good :p I feel bad about their feather loss from him trying to mate though so I wouldn't mind not even having a rooster one day. Originally the plan was to stick with this breed exclusively but things change in life!

Some of our eggs are obviously fertile with a little red spot. We have seen other pictures of fertile eggs that don't have a red spot, but another kind of "mark" on the yolk that I wouldn't necessarily notice. Maybe our rooster isn't very good :p I feel bad about their feather loss from him trying to mate though so I wouldn't mind not even having a rooster one day. Originally the plan was to stick with this breed exclusively but things change in life!
Things definitely change in life! And I think it's a much more peaceful barnyard without a roo. I like the SFH, but I have so many breeds that they are pretty average and not my VERY favorite. Definitely not the best foragers or the most friendly. Still good birds, fun, pretty, interesting... and I think they are easy to breed since the standard is so wide! But I'm not in love enough to focus on breeding them anymore.

So when you say red mark, you mean before the egg is even incubated or after? Before incubation, a red spot would be a blood spot and NOT fertilization. Fertilized eggs before incubation, the blasto disk that is usually just a white polka dot on the yolk will turn into a blasto derm which is still white but a bulls eye. But I'm thinking you mean your signs of development after she sat?

You could get your hens saddles for mating if you thought that would help.

Yes it's the white dot that I don't always look for so I guess I'm not sure how many of our eggs are really fertile or not. We were under the impression that a blood spot indicated fertility sometimes too. I have heard of the saddles, but with the heat and the way they like to get into the dirt and mud, it doesn't seem like a practical choice. Hopefully as we get closer to the end of the summer he will settle down a bit.
When we were first interested in this breed we had heard that a lot of people in our area had been looking for them (calling feed stores and such). So we thought it would be a good idea to breed here. Now to me at least it feels like more of a hassle than it's worth to try to turn it into a small business.

It's definitely NOT worth the hassle, unless it's a breed that you are totally in love with... at least for me.

Ya, I knew you had the heat when I mentioned saddles... so I was thinking the same as you, not practicle.

He should settle down a bit. Part of it's age. But spring/summer is high mating season. The days are starting to get shorter, so hopefully it will help.

A blood spot on an unincubated egg is just that... called either a blood spot or a meat spot. (through this post, I learned that meat and blood spots aren't exactly the same!) Fertile eggs won't start to develop until sat on for more than 12 hours. And even then, the blood veins aren't yet starting. Check this link...
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2013/01/facts-and-myths-about-fertile-eggs.html
Here is a pic also...
fertvsunfert.jpg

And a link about meat/blood spots...
https://articles.extension.org/pages/65462/what-is-a-meat-spot
https://articles.extension.org/page...produced-by-small-and-backyard-chicken-flocks

I suspect, if your cockerel has mounted your hens enough to show wear... all of your eggs are PROBABLY fertile. ;)

Next question... how long does it take to break a broody hen? The only way I can keep her out of the nesting boxes is to physically remove her and then close the door to the coop. But none of the other hens can go in to lay either.

It's definitely NOT worth the hassle, unless it's a breed that you are totally in love with... at least for me.

Ya, I knew you had the heat when I mentioned saddles... so I was thinking the same as you, not practicle.

He should settle down a bit. Part of it's age. But spring/summer is high mating season. The days are starting to get shorter, so hopefully it will help.

A blood spot on an unincubated egg is just that... called either a blood spot or a meat spot. (through this post, I learned that meat and blood spots aren't exactly the same!) Fertile eggs won't start to develop until sat on for more than 12 hours. And even then, the blood veins aren't yet starting. Check this link...
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2013/01/facts-and-myths-about-fertile-eggs.html
Here is a pic also...
fertvsunfert.jpg

And a link about meat/blood spots...
https://articles.extension.org/pages/65462/what-is-a-meat-spot
https://articles.extension.org/page...produced-by-small-and-backyard-chicken-flocks

I suspect, if your cockerel has mounted your hens enough to show wear... all of your eggs are PROBABLY fertile. ;)

Thanks for the info! The bullseye is what I have seen in pictures that I don't usually try to find when cooking :)
We originally had 3 roosters. They got along for a while and then became apparent that we had to get rid of one so the lowest guy on the totem got a new home. Then our highest guy started to get very aggressive with us. Obviously not good for breeding or life in general. We tried to find a new home for him but could not (in good faith I couldn't see him go to a family anyway since his attacks were getting so bad) so he met his maker.
Now the one we are left with is a good guy so I hope to find him a new home next year maybe.

Next question... how long does it take to break a broody hen? The only way I can keep her out of the nesting boxes is to physically remove her and then close the door to the coop. But none of the other hens can go in to lay either.
Depends on the broody. Some will break overnight while the one I have in the breaker currently has been more than a week in an elevated wire bottom cage. :barnie

I can't lock my coop for the same reason, other layers need to go in and out. I bought a dog crate thing from amazon for like $35 with a divider and two doors. Did have to slide out the plastic tray and attach my own hardware cloth bottom. But the tray still goes back in. I've used it as a brooder as well as a transporter. They probably sell something like it at Wally for a little more.

I also tried waiting a hen out and after 35 days decided I had to help her out. That was my first experience and I won't let it happen again as I don't like them loosing condition while they sit. Once they are broken, it can still take a couple weeks (more/less) for them to resume laying. :fl

She might go broody again in the fall. You could always be ready then. ;) :oops: :D

Depends on the broody. Some will break overnight while the one I have in the breaker currently has been more than a week in an elevated wire bottom cage. :barnie

I can't lock my coop for the same reason, other layers need to go in and out. I bought a dog crate thing from amazon for like $35 with a divider and two doors. Did have to slide out the plastic tray and attach my own hardware cloth bottom. But the tray still goes back in. I've used it as a brooder as well as a transporter. They probably sell something like it at Wally for a little more.

I also tried waiting a hen out and after 35 days decided I had to help her out. That was my first experience and I won't let it happen again as I don't like them loosing condition while they sit. Once they are broken, it can still take a couple weeks (more/less) for them to resume laying. :fl

She might go broody again in the fall. You could always be ready then. ;) :oops: :D

Yes it's the losing condition that bothers me as well or I would let her be. Since the others have been a little slower in their laying recently I don't mind closing the coop for a full day. I tried a few hours yesterday but we had a sudden wind storm so I opened it again so they could get in if they wanted.
Thanks for the dog crate tip. Hopefully I won't need to :rolleyes:

Hello,
I'm new to SFH and getting hatching eggs this weekend. Trying to read all the information and know what to look for in the best breeding quality babies. The lady is marking the two different pens eggs so I can tell them apart. :celebrate What are the faults to look for and what is a snoleopard pattern look like? I'm so excited about having some of these amazing birds.

Back
Top Bottom