Sweet PDZ?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by honeyb, Sep 12, 2012.

1. honeyb

honeyb Out Of The Brooder

what is Sweet PDZ? is it safe to use in coops?

2. FirewifeJess

FirewifeJess Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2012
    Gallifrey
    Sweet PDZ is a horse stall refresher that, in gravel form, resembles cat litter but it smells better. It's 100% safe for use with chickens (I use it!). I have a poop shelf under my roosts in the coop and it's filled with Sweet PDZ. I scoop it every few days with a cat litter scoop and it keeps allllll that crazy night poop out of the coop and off the floor. It's a very clean way of doing things and I have yet to replace or add to my shavings in the coop in 21 weeks of them living there. PM me if you want more info or have questions.

Sweet PDZ, Jack112, grimes42 and 2 others like this.
  3. Sallysec

Sallysec Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2012
    New York
    Where do you purchase it? How often do you change it? How much is it a package?

thanks !

4. FirewifeJess

Mar 2, 2012
    Gallifrey
    I just bought a 50lb bag at the local feed store in the horse section. I don't ever change it, just scoop it. I might need to add more in a year or so, but I started off with 2 bags of it on the shelf and it still looks the same! Don't remember what I paid but it's worth it, there's NO stink and NO poop in my coop!

Sweet PDZ likes this.
  5. LaPetiteFarmer

LaPetiteFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2012
    Vista, CA
    I paid mine between $13 and $15 (depending of the feed store) but i live in So Cal so the price might be different where you live. I love that stuff!!! I mix it with a little of DE and add it under the roosts (in the pooping board). Everyday, I just have to spend 10 minutes to scoop, it's so easy and the coop doesn't smell at all!

[​IMG]

BYChickenAl and Sweet PDZ like this.
  6. honeyb

honeyb Out Of The Brooder

thanks for all your help. what is de?

7. LaPetiteFarmer

LaPetiteFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2012
    Vista, CA
  8. DiggstownChicks

DiggstownChicks Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2012
    North Carolina
    Do you buy the granular or powder form???

Thanks!!

9. FirewifeJess

Mar 2, 2012
    Gallifrey
    I buy granular; the powder resembles DE which is too fine IMO for chickens; they breathe it in :(

1 person likes this.
  10. kreagerm

kreagerm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2012
    For everyone not using a poop board with sweet PDZ, you should really try it. You will be amazed about the amount of waste you save and the coop will smell nice a fresh. I also use the granular form with a little play sand mixed in, works great.

Sweet PDZ and marucci like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by