Sweet PDZ?

I'm considering using this on the bottom of my coop. But it's exposed to the weather. It will likely get really wet when it rains. How will this effect the Sweet PDZ? Will I have to change it every time It rains?

Thanks!
Bottom of coop?
You mean the run under the coop?
Coop should be dry ans weather tight.
Can you post a pic of your 'coop'?

Probably better that the PDZ does not get soaking wet, it can't absorb ammonia as well if it's full of water.

Oh, and, Welcome to BYC!

Bottom of coop?
You mean the run under the coop?
Coop should be dry ans weather tight.
Can you post a pic of your 'coop'?

Probably better that the PDZ does not get soaking wet, it can't absorb ammonia as well if it's full of water.

Oh, and, Welcome to BYC!

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I do mean under the coop. Oops! So PDZ would not be good for that area then it seems. The big fenced in run is full of grass still and seems to be just big enough to stay that way. The small run under the coop is compacted mud, old food, and droppings. It's not pretty. For now I'm using pine shavings but I need a better solution I think.

There are photos in this thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...-chickens-hows-my-coop-run-look#post_18399106

Thank you for the welcome and help!

This is about what I use for the run...'eats' up the poops:

Here's a great description of contents and how to manage organic 'bedding' in a run or coop...and there's a great video of what it looks like.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1037998/muddy-run-help-please#post_16017992

Thank you. I was checking that thread out earlier. I've got pretty much everything I need in the yard to do the organic bedding. Pine needles, pine cones, bark, grass clippings, weeds, straw/hay, pine shavings, etc. Looks like I got some collecting to do!

I've been using pine shavings for the coop floor, but have just learned about this amazing product! I've read quite a few of these informative comments, but am wondering how much of it to use if I still use the shavings? Should I spread a thin amount underneath the shavings and then a thin amount on top of shavings? That's what I have done, but am wondering if it needs to be thicker for it to actually work. I just put it on the coop floor today. Thank you!

I've been using pine shavings for the coop floor, but have just learned about this amazing product! I've read quite a few of these informative comments, but am wondering how much of it to use if I still use the shavings? Should I spread a thin amount underneath the shavings and then a thin amount on top of shavings? That's what I have done, but am wondering if it needs to be thicker for it to actually work. I just put it on the coop floor today. Thank you!
Some folks sprinkle it around on and in the bedding.
How much you use may depend on if you have an odor problem and how bad it is.
May depend on how you manage your bedding and manure.
But yeah, like JT says, most of us use it on a poop board.

Back
Top Bottom