Sweet PDZ?

Pics
what's a poop board? I use child's rake to rake out large chunks 1x/wk and shavings--coop has wood and some wire strips;other coop has cheap --resembles fibreboard--and I do same--nothing on either one is really "removable"
thnx
The "poop board" is essentially a shelf that sits beneath the roost bar(s) to catch the waste expelled during the hours the birds are at roost. The advantage of having one is that it protects the floor space below from the accumulation of that waste since it represents a majority of the waste expelled by a bird in a given day and is expelled while the bird is in one spot vs. out wandering about during the day which allows that waste to be scattered. The amount of waste that can appear beneath a roost in just a couple of nights is often significant. For coops where the goal is to provide the most open, livable, space possible the poop board is a definite advantage. The downside, of course, is that the board must be cleaned periodically. I employ a poop board and have mine lined with a layer of PDZ which helps to eliminate odors and dries the waste -- it is as simple as cleaning a cat's litter box to sift the PDZ and discard the waste, takes me about five minutes for my coop. For my coop I have used the space beneath the board as a place to put my feed and water station - the feeder and waterer are actually hung from the poop board itself and the poop board keeps the feed and water clean by preventing any waste from falling down into them.

Here's a picture of mine. That link shows it well also. I love it, it keeps the floor so much cleaner and alot more floor space that I use to hang my waterer.

does PDZ work similar to diatomaceous earth?

No, DE is a insecticide that also happens to dry up moisture because it is a dry powder, PDZ is a ground up mineral that in the granular form is very similar to a semi course white sand, it doesn't affect bugs and dries things up just like dumping sand on it would, what it IS good for though is absorbing ammonia.

does PDZ work similar to diatomaceous earth?
DE is a mineral, but a different one than PDZ.

DE kill insects by being microscopically sharp which lacerates the surface of the insects bodies and it absorbs moisture so desiccates the insect.

PDZ is the mineral zeolite which absorbs ammonia by cation and it can also absorb some moisture.

Ty, so good to know. Just built a nice chicken house with lenoleum floor so I can hose it out from time to time but I noticed that the smell builds quickly in it. I will certainly be getting some. 9.99 at our local Tractor supply!

Back
Top Bottom