Sweet Potato

Sweet potatoes are fine, mine really like them cooked. The vines that they grow from are supposedly not good for chickens. My chickens occasionally nibble at them, but mostly ignore them.

I am afraid you are mistaken. It is perfectly OK to feed regular potato peels. What is a no-no is to feed the GREEN potato peels. The GREEN in the potato peel indicates a presence of solanine that is poisonous to humans and chickens. The GREEN potato peels can be on regular potatoes or sweet potatoes. Sunlight concentrates the solanine to a dangerous level and turns the skin green.

It is not that othey are going to fall over dead the instant they take one peck of a green potato peel. I don't know what the fatal dose is, but I don't feed the green ones at all. I do feed the others and don't worry about it.

From what I have read some people eat the sweet potato vine...one of my friends says it is delicious. I've given my girls some of my sweet potato vines and have seen no problems. I have some running all over one of my beds right now and was thinking I should start feeding it to them before we get a freeze.

Back
Top Bottom