Sweet Potato?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by 1hawaiian, Jan 18, 2012.

1. 1hawaiian

1hawaiian Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2012
    Anyone feeding their chckens sweet potato?

Do you cook the leaves and tubers before feeding?

2. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    I feed cooked sweet potato...but I remove the skin and other growing parts. Sweet potato is in the morning glory family, and I think those parts may be toxic?

3. grawg

grawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2011
    East Tennessee
    I fed my ducks sweet potato vines last year with no problems. And I would throw in a couple pounds of the vines at a time after harvesting the tubers. Sweet potatoes leaves, while in the morning glory family, are actually edible for humans as well. I had them in a few salads and used them as a replacement for lettuce in the heat of summer when lettuce typically doesn't do so well. Just as a personal preference I use the younger leaves as they tend to be less papery and tough.

Before I fed my ducks the vines I scoured the internet and found some study where sweet potato vines were used in a field experiment in Africa as an alternative to traditional feeds. From what I can recall, the sweet potato did not work as well as traditional, but since I'm not exclusively using them I figured it couldn't hurt to supplement with them.

Also, normal potato are in the nightshade family and the leaves/vines are toxic in sufficient quantity.

1 person likes this.
  4. Smiles-N-Sunshine

Smiles-N-Sunshine Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2008
    Palominas, Arizona
    My ducks get the peels, and seem to prefer them cooked. (Brats.)

5. 1hawaiian

Jan 3, 2012
    Thank you folks I appreciate the replies [​IMG]

6. Linn Bee

Linn Bee Chillin' With My Peeps

I cook the sweet potatoes for myself so the chickens only get the skins and left-overs. I cook the whole potato so they are eating cooked skins. I also cook squash for them from time to time. They love those, too.

7. AccentOnHakes

AccentOnHakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    My chickens get the cooked peels after I'm done eating them, they also enjoy the cooked tubers.

8. 1hawaiian

Jan 3, 2012
    GREAT!!!
    I appreciate the replies!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by