Sweeter Heater as brooder, do you have one?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by popsicle, Mar 4, 2013.

1. popsicle

popsicle Chillin' With My Peeps

I recently ordered a Sweeter Heater as I found a few recommendations here and elsewhere.

The unit hasn't arrived yet, so I don't really know if things will be obvious, so I have a few questions for people that have used them.

Is it like the Brinsea EcoGlow, that you want it low enough for the chicks to touch? I read somewhere that it is a bit warmer than the EcoGlow.

Does it have the same fire-safe features? That the chicks could kick the bedding right against the heating surface and not start a fire?

Any other advice or comments?

2. IndianHeaven

IndianHeaven Out Of The Brooder

Jan 4, 2013
    WA, USA
    Im using one now. Chicks are 2 weeks old. 27 are sound asleep under it right now. I will never use a red heat lamp again. Mine came with instructions. It does get very warm.. but no fire worries from water or bedding. Use a thermomoter and raise it once a week. Two major differences in chick behavior compared to red bulb... they are more active and sleep through the night. They started on red bulb.

3. popsicle

popsicle Chillin' With My Peeps

Update for anybody interested in a Sweeter Heater:

My Sweeter Heater arrived the other day. I put it over my 5 EE chicks. The chicks were a bit over a week old when first introduced to the heater. I left the 250w bulb on for the first day and night then turned it off. I replaced the 250w bulb in the fixture with a CFL to give them some light during the day since they are in a dark part of the coop/shed.

The chicks have adjusted and survived just fine. According to wunderground yesterday's low was 14F, and the brooding box is in an old uninsulated shed. Needless to say, I am extremely happy with how this product is performing!

I still ordered a Brinsea EcoGlow 20. I will eventually post a comparison for anybody that's interested.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by