Sweetgrass with Self Buff?

Beccatrix

Songster
Nov 28, 2021
Wisconsin
I am struggling with the calculator; Self Buff keeps coming up as something else.

If I added some Self Buffs to my Sweetgrass, what color options could I end up with?

Sweetgrass are b'b' cgcg.

Self Buff are listed as "The genotype of our self buff is black winged bronze based with brown, narragansett and red genes.
b'b' ee nn rr (toms), b'b' e- n- rr (hens)" with offspring breeding true.

So I'm guessing everything would have a b'b' /black base. I'm not sure what else could occur. If I'm understanding things, would they create 50/50?

Thanks for any help!

I am struggling with the calculator; Self Buff keeps coming up as something else.

If I added some Self Buffs to my Sweetgrass, what color options could I end up with?

Sweetgrass are b'b' cgcg.

Self Buff are listed as "The genotype of our self buff is black winged bronze based with brown, narragansett and red genes.
b'b' ee nn rr (toms), b'b' e- n- rr (hens)" with offspring breeding true.

So I'm guessing everything would have a b'b' /black base. I'm not sure what else could occur. If I'm understanding things, would they create 50/50?

Thanks for any help!
I don't know why you think there is a black base when neither variety has the dominant black gene.

The breeding results between Sweetgrass and Self Buff can differ based on which variety is the tom and which variety is the hen. The Self Buff has 2 sex linked genes, Narragansett (n) and Brown (e).

If the Sweetgrass is the tom and the Self Buff is the hen, all offspring will be Red Phoenix. Males will be (b1b1 Ccg dd Ee Nn PnPn Rr SlSl) Females will be (b1b1 Ccg dd E- N- PnPn Rr SlSl).

If the tom is the Self Buff and the Sweetgrass is the hen, the males will be Red Phoenix (b1b1 Ccg dd Ee Nn PnPn Rr SlSl) and the females will be Chocolate-winged Narragansett Semi-color Semi-gray Semi-red (b1b1 Ccg dd e- n- PnPn Rr SlSl).

I don't know why you think there is a black base when neither variety has the dominant black gene.

The breeding results between Sweetgrass and Self Buff can differ based on which variety is the tom and which variety is the hen. The Self Buff has 2 sex linked genes, Narragansett (n) and Brown (e).

If the Sweetgrass is the tom and the Self Buff is the hen, all offspring will be Red Phoenix. Males will be (b1b1 Ccg dd Ee Nn PnPn Rr SlSl) Females will be (b1b1 Ccg dd E- N- PnPn Rr SlSl).

If the tom is the Self Buff and the Sweetgrass is the hen, the males will be Red Phoenix (b1b1 Ccg dd Ee Nn PnPn Rr SlSl) and the females will be Chocolate-winged Narragansett Semi-color Semi-gray Semi-red (b1b1 Ccg dd e- n- PnPn Rr SlSl).
Thanks! I meant to say brown, not black...but it's bronze. 😳😂 Maybe I'll admire them from afar. For some reason I'm excited about wide open options in guineas, but with turkey's size and complexity, there seems like too many possibilities to follow.

Thanks! I meant to say brown, not black...but it's bronze. 😳😂 Maybe I'll admire them from afar. For some reason I'm excited about wide open options in guineas, but with turkey's size and complexity, there seems like too many possibilities to follow.
Turkey color genetics are much better known than guinea color genetics are.

Yes, both varieties are Black-winged Bronze based.

Back
Top Bottom