Swelling in between chicken's toes

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Glad you joined the flock! You're in good hands with TwoCrows, fingers crossed your chicken will be fine.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

That could be MS. Is it in the left foot of the bird? I had MS (mycoplasma synoviae) in my flock. It is a nasty bacterial infection. The foot joint of the left foot swells because synovial fluid is leaking out from the tendon sheaths of the leg. The first signs is the webbing between the toes swells on the left foot of the bird. It is contagious. Is the bird limping, is the joint red or the pad of the foot red? Is there heat at the joint? If the bird starts to limp really badly, the swelling gets worse and not from an injury, get some Denagard. It is an antibiotic that works great on MS and MG. Sometimes the fluid pools in the pad of the foot and you may have to drain the pad with bumblefoot surgery. Look for other signs of MS too....swelling at the hocks, lethargy, anorexia, yellow urates in the poop, eye infections, respiratory ailments, any strange behaviors to your flock that weren't there before.

Here is a link you can read about MS.....http://www.poultrynews.com/New/Diseases/Merks/203505.htm

Good luck and I hope this is just a fluke and not MS. I had a horrible time cleaning up my flock.
I pretty sure my small flock has MS. What did you do to treat this? I’ve read about different antibiotics, but heard that results are mixed.

I pretty sure my small flock has MS. What did you do to treat this? I’ve read about different antibiotics, but heard that results are mixed.
Try posting a new thread in the ER Forum. This is a zombie thread. TwoCrows is still here and she and others can help you. Good luck.

Definitely make a thread in our Emergency Forums here... https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures.10/

Describe all that is going on, include photos of the feet and swelling. If there is evidence of bumblefoot ALONG with what looks like a bubble in the webbing along side the toe accompanied with lameness or limping, (mainly in one foot/leg only, usually the left) it's probably MS. You may or may not also see a host of other symptoms... pale combs, lots of egg laying issues, runny noses, lethargy, anorexia, etc...

I did bumblefoot surgery daily to drain the fluid out of the leg and used Baytril combined with Doxycycline for 12+ weeks. This bacteria never leaves the flock and all birds are carriers the rest if their days.

Back
Top Bottom