Swelling in cheek/eye area

amanda1

Songster
6 Years
Aug 5, 2015
Can anyone help me figure this out. The swelling started 4 days ago and is now spreading towards her eye. I have looked in her mouth numerous times, and it looks pink and healthy. She is eating, drinking and laying. She May have a bit of loose stool, it's hard to tell since everything has been so wet, it may be due to her consuming a lot of liquid.

Attachments

• IMG_4916.JPG
    IMG_4916.JPG
    407 KB · Views: 22
Well my solution would be my WET MASH PROBIOTIC to help her gut as it may have E.Ccoli and the wet mash will not hurt the chicken.
It should be fed 2 times a week to all chickens so they stay healthy.
https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=207404369754617&id=100014551661422

Here is the recipe and explanation.
chicken/three vit's/wet mash/E.coli
For this problem I recommend my wet mash probiotic with yoguart be given.
I prefer to use the wet mash probiotic that includes chicken feed, yoguart and milk with applesauce
because chickens will eat the yoguart completely in the wet mash where as some chickens will not just eat yoguart ans it gets on their beaks, of which then they throw it away when cleaning the beaks
as you will notice if standing too close to them eating the yoguart

So read on down where I give the recipe
some advice for helping the chicken get over the hen.

I would suggest and advanced case of E.coli.

With all that is noted here is some good help that I have found to work for the health of the chicken

you mention swelling in cheek ad eye that denotes he she may have a gut problem.

So here is what I would do at this time to help her get to feeling better

This is for single bird and I would isolate her so you know what she is eating
if you do not have a rabbit cage you can put her in the garage in a dog carrier till she is better
I would start with the Vit E and Vit B complex and Selenium with wet mash

A)
chickens do get some upset in the gut with E.coli and then it goes to a nervous disorder
natural probiotic wet mash with Vit E and Vit B complex added immediately
basically the chicken has some nerve damage from the E.coli do this immediately
need neurolodigal vit E and Vit B complex for E.coli and the nervous disorder Also the apple cider vineager in water

(1) 2 tbsp acv per gallon of water till chickens are well and then 2 times a week for life
for one chicken use 1 tbsp of ACV
1 pint of water

(2 immediately give the chicken 1000 mg capsule of liquid Vit E by cutting the end of the capsule and taking the vit E liquid and mix in wet mash probiotic

(2-B) total amt of capsules equals the total amt of chickens fed vit's multiply amt of recipe times amt of chickens fed it and the amt of vit's times amt of chickens given them

(3 also need to crush a vit B complex pill in tabsp and add tsp of water to it
put it in the chickens wet mash after it is dissolved also a Selenium tablet crushed add water and then add to wet mash mixture.

(3-C) then give this to the chicken twice a week for two weeks should see much improvement

after the chicken has eaten the wet mash probiotic clean wet feeder and restock dry crumble feed.

(4 Do both Vit's twice today then for 7 days till you see some improvement in the chicken

(5 today I would see if the chicken will eat a wet mash with the Vitamins E and B complex and Selenium.

(-B) THIS IS FOR ONE CHICKEN
natural probiotic wet mash
2 tbp of dry crumbles
1 tbsp flax seed meal (the kind people take)
3 tbp of milk sweet, sour or buttermilk
1 tbsp of non flavored yogurt
2 tbsp of apple sauce
put it on top so the chicken can smell and see it
mix good and put the
vit E liquid as directed in the wet mash
and crumble the Vit B complex tablet in a tabsp and add to the wet mash
**BESURE AND MIX VIT'S VERY GOOD IN WET MASH***

(6 Do this twice a day for 7 days to see if the chicken is better
then do this once a day for another week then once a week for a while
this should give the nervous system some stability and cure the bad E.coli in the gut
(6-A) they should clean it up in 20-30 minutes
this will help them get good gut flora
also put 2 tbsp of ACV in gallon of water and keep giving them this water for a week straight
then give it 3-5 times a week for life
Glenda Heywood Cassville Missouri

Last edited:
Oh my goodness, I'm gone to be away all day tomorrow and I don't have half of those supplies! She is very skittish and I did see in her mouth for a split second, but nothing looked out of the ordinary. I thought at first she had been stung or pecked in that area, but I would think instead of the swelling increasing, it would be going down by now. Can they get sinus issues?

Well I would go and get the supplies when you can and start the WET MASH PROBIOTIC RECIPE so she can et straightebed out physically.
All the chickens will benefit by the recipe. As that keepstheir resistance upto any and all kinds of respiratory disease.
She has a inflammation of the breathing and it is shown by the inflammation of the flesh and eye problems to develop..
Please give the recipe a chance to help the chickens.
Even if you just have any of the recipe the wet mash and some apple sauce on top asa treat they would eat it.
Then you would know she is eating.
Most times the chickens will eat the wet mash recipe in 20-30 minutes.
then clean up the large pie plate or bowl so they can all eat it up.

Oh my goodness, I'm gone to be away all day tomorrow and I don't have half of those supplies! She is very skittish and I did see in her mouth for a split second, but nothing looked out of the ordinary. I thought at first she had been stung or pecked in that area, but I would think instead of the swelling increasing, it would be going down by now. Can they get sinus issues?
yes thay can and quite often do, and that will cause the swelling

can you get her to a vet? they could prescribe some baytril or something to help clear up the infection

Well you need this treatment
(1) I would see if Walmart or tractor supply sells VETREX
It is a herbal medication fo rchickens and animals.
Do this Pit a drop in each eye and rub all her head with VETREX
Put a couple squeezes in her mouth like 1 tsp per time.
rub VETREX inder each arm.
THEN PUT 1 TSPS OF VETREX IN PINT OF WATER
do not use ACV in water while medicating her.
Thus saving a heavy vet bill. more advise in next article
I know you can get VETREX AT AMAZON

Hen has Eye Infection

This comment comes from subscriber Michael Breder's personal experience with an eye infection in one of his flock - it may prove helpful to other chicken folk.

"One of my 4 hens was not being herself when I came home from work and I found her in one of the nest boxes with her eyes gunked up. I immediately got her a bed in the nearest dog kennel quarantined on my porch and started calling my chicken support group.
I spoke with one of my vet friends after hearing from many others that I should just dig a hole or eat her. My vet buddy said I had to get her eyes cleaned out with a warm wash cloth and get some neosporin in her eyes.
He said to save the 15 bucks for terramycin at the feed store....turns out neosporin turned out just as good. Next day her eyes looked much better and she was on her way to recovery.
I kept her in the dog kennel until she got her bearings and her appetite back. She is now back with the flock and it's a month later with no further problems.

What looked like a possible sick chicken turned out to just be an eye infection...she is the rowdier of the flock and I think she just ran into something and hurt her eye. Just thought I'd share the story about the neosporin and getting her eyes cleaned out."

Posted by Gina Read at 08:21

ttp://successwithpoultry.blogspot.com/2007/12/eye-infection.html

Here is another option sounds good as you can get it at Walmart. I imagine Amazon has it also.
http://successwithpoultry.blogspot.com/2007/12/eye-infection.html
Eye Infection in chickens

This comment comes from subscriber Michael Breder's personal experience with an eye infection in one of his flock - it may prove helpful to other chicken folk.

"One of my 4 hens was not being herself when I came home from work and I found her in one of the nest boxes with her eyes gunked up. I immediately got her a bed in the nearest dog kennel quarantined on my porch and started calling my chicken support group.
I spoke with one of my vet friends after hearing from many others that I should just dig a hole or eat her. My vet buddy said I had to get her eyes cleaned out with a warm wash cloth and get some neosporin in her eyes.
He said to save the 15 bucks for terramycin at the feed store....turns out neosporin turned out just as good. Next day her eyes looked much better and she was on her way to recovery.
I kept her in the dog kennel until she got her bearings and her appetite back. She is now back with the flock and it's a month later with no further problems. What looked like a possible sick chicken turned out to just be an eye infection...she is the rowdier of the flock and I think she just ran into something and hurt her eye. Just thought I'd share the story about the neosporin and getting her eyes cleaned out."

Posted by Gina Read
Gina said this:
The Neosporin was initially an alternative (in Mike's particular case) for tetromyacin. 'DuckRaiser' has also successfully used a non-named brand tripple antibiotic cream and so the brand itself is probably not important. The situations where applying the cream have appeared to be most successful seem to be have been primarily where an eye infection has ocurred as a result of a peck or poke to the eye (or perhaps a piece of debris). If the swollen eyes are a symptom of an actual illness/virus then that larger root cause would also need to be assessed and treated (preferably by a vet). It is usually best to keep any sick/injured chickens seperate if you can to prevent attacks on the weak/injured and give them a chance to heal (and minimse spreading if there is a larger underlying cause).

Last edited:
Here are some more and can be gotten at local Walmart
http://successwithpoultry.blogspot.com/2007/12/eye-infection.html
Janet Harris said...

A few weeks ago I had a chicken that was laying on its back when I went out to feed. I up righted her went up to feed my horse came back and once again there she was on her back so I picked her up and brought her down into my husbands work shop. For about three days we had to constantly turn her over, since I work with a lot of men that have had chickens all their lives they have said they never heard of this but on the third day she started to walk(?)
There were no sores on her feet but she soon developed a bad eye infection that scabbed over. I used an over the counter triple antibiotic on it and it is all cleared up now. She is doing well now and is still in the work shop till I find out what this was so my other hens do not get this.

Anonymous said...

Does anyone have an idea how many times the neosporin should be applied?

We noticed one of our hens had her eye closed for the better part of a day, and we suspected that she had been pecked. By nightfall, she was doing worse, and appeared to be unsteady as she tried to balance on the roost. We followed the advice given here, and applied the warm wet cloth and neosporin. She appears to be a bit better this morning, as her eye is partially open and she is much more alert.

So, my question is do I continue applying the ointment, or is once enough? I don't want to overuse the product for fear of causing additional damage to her eye.
Anonymous said...
i dont believe that over use will cause damage. you should see improvement in the apearance of the eye and then decrease use accordingly, extra moisture for the eye could only be good in my opinion.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom