1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Swelling in Peachick's windpipe????

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by Vitoria, Jan 10, 2016.

1. Vitoria

Vitoria Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2015
    Hope everyone's doing fine.

5 month old peachick, has this, what looks like, swelling in her airway [right beneath her beak] since like, a few hours ago.

I noticed because she was not eating what I offered to her [which was a boiled egg], her crop was full though [she's a free range]. I set her on my lap and she closed her eyes immediately.

SIGNS:

the swelling,
    slow movements [not the usual hyper active]
    extra defensive
    not eating...

Its only been a few hours.
    Do any of you have an idea?

PS: I do not have access to any sort of professional vet here in Pakistan.

2. Vitoria

Aug 2, 2015
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I couldn't take close ups because she is refusing to come down from that wall. [although she's an imprinted one]

3. Vitoria

Aug 2, 2015
    see the little bulge beneath her beak?

4. Vitoria

Aug 2, 2015
    She's foraging, moving, flying up and down, everything is fine EXCEPT THAT BULGE.
    Better safe than sorry, right?

5. Vitoria

Aug 2, 2015
    MEDICINES I HAVE ON ME AT THE MOMENT:

-amoxycillin [baytril's equivalent]
    -Oxytetracycline
    -Calpol
    -Metranidazole

6. DylansMom

DylansMom RIP 1969-2017 Premium Member

Jan 10, 2014
    PA
    Hello, 2 years ago I had an 8 week old chick develop a similar bulge. He was in a wire bottom cage and had not had exposure to older birds, also no contact with the ground yet. I checked for a foreign object, but found nothing. We decided on a wait and see approach and the swelling slowly went down over the course of about 24 hrs. What we ended up thinking it was, was a bee sting. Since it has only been a few hours and this is not a normal location for sinus infection related swelling, I would give her 24 hrs. and just keep a close eye on her. Give her some treats to make sure it isn't interfering with her eating/swallowing. Keep us posted and good luck.

7. KsKingBee

KsKingBee Overrun With Chickens

This one had the swelling under the jaw, and I have had a few others as well. If you bird starts getting crusty eyes that matt shut and starts yawning I can tell you what I suspect. None of the meds you have on hand will touch it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. casportpony

casportpony Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    Can you catch her?

-Kathy

9. Vitoria

Aug 2, 2015
    Yes i caught her. I looked inside her throat, it was clear as day! There was nothing odd inside her beak.
    I palpated her bulge and it went in when i pressed it. But came back out...

She is eating. And drinking. I ofered her some apple and she pecked away like a hungry lion!

She's hyperactive again though.

Let me see if she still has the bulge.

What do you think caused it??

10. Birdrain92

Birdrain92 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2013
    Idaho
    I don't have experience in this sort of thing, good to hear she's doing good now. Could she have gotten bitten by a fly or some sort of bug, stung by something, or maybe got poked by something sharp like a thorn?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by