Swelling in Peachick's windpipe????

Vitoria

In the Brooder
Aug 2, 2015
Hope everyone's doing fine.

5 month old peachick, has this, what looks like, swelling in her airway [right beneath her beak] since like, a few hours ago.

I noticed because she was not eating what I offered to her [which was a boiled egg], her crop was full though [she's a free range]. I set her on my lap and she closed her eyes immediately.

SIGNS:

the swelling,
slow movements [not the usual hyper active]
extra defensive
not eating...

Its only been a few hours.
Do any of you have an idea?

PS: I do not have access to any sort of professional vet here in Pakistan.

I couldn't take close ups because she is refusing to come down from that wall. [although she's an imprinted one]

She's foraging, moving, flying up and down, everything is fine EXCEPT THAT BULGE.
Better safe than sorry, right?

MEDICINES I HAVE ON ME AT THE MOMENT:

-amoxycillin [baytril's equivalent]
-Oxytetracycline
-Calpol
-Metranidazole

She's foraging, moving, flying up and down, everything is fine EXCEPT THAT BULGE.
Better safe than sorry, right?

Hello, 2 years ago I had an 8 week old chick develop a similar bulge. He was in a wire bottom cage and had not had exposure to older birds, also no contact with the ground yet. I checked for a foreign object, but found nothing. We decided on a wait and see approach and the swelling slowly went down over the course of about 24 hrs. What we ended up thinking it was, was a bee sting. Since it has only been a few hours and this is not a normal location for sinus infection related swelling, I would give her 24 hrs. and just keep a close eye on her. Give her some treats to make sure it isn't interfering with her eating/swallowing. Keep us posted and good luck.

This one had the swelling under the jaw, and I have had a few others as well. If you bird starts getting crusty eyes that matt shut and starts yawning I can tell you what I suspect. None of the meds you have on hand will touch it.

Hope everyone's doing fine.

5 month old peachick, has this, what looks like, swelling in her airway [right beneath her beak] since like, a few hours ago.

I noticed because she was not eating what I offered to her [which was a boiled egg], her crop was full though [she's a free range]. I set her on my lap and she closed her eyes immediately.

SIGNS:

the swelling,
slow movements [not the usual hyper active]
extra defensive
not eating...

Its only been a few hours.
Do any of you have an idea?

PS: I do not have access to any sort of professional vet here in Pakistan.
Can you catch her?

-Kathy

Can you catch her?

-Kathy

Yes i caught her. I looked inside her throat, it was clear as day! There was nothing odd inside her beak.
I palpated her bulge and it went in when i pressed it. But came back out...

She is eating. And drinking. I ofered her some apple and she pecked away like a hungry lion!

She's hyperactive again though.

Let me see if she still has the bulge.

What do you think caused it??

Yes i caught her. I looked inside her throat, it was clear as day! There was nothing odd inside her beak.
I palpated her bulge and it went in when i pressed it. But came back out...

She is eating. And drinking. I ofered her some apple and she pecked away like a hungry lion!

She's hyperactive again though.

Let me see if she still has the bulge.

What do you think caused it??
I don't have experience in this sort of thing, good to hear she's doing good now. Could she have gotten bitten by a fly or some sort of bug, stung by something, or maybe got poked by something sharp like a thorn?

Back
Top Bottom