Swelling on Coturnix

UmbraVulpis

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 1, 2009
Naples
One of my three week coturnix has a swelling on his head behind his eye. It is not oozing or anything like that and he doesn't appear to be in pain but it impairs his vision on that side a bit. None of the 16 other birds in his brooder have it. I figure best case it's an air bubble, worst case it's something contagious that will kill all my birds. I'm hoping you guys could help me figure out what it is.
fl.gif

DSCN1033.jpg
DSCN1032.jpg

I can honestly say I have no clue! I'm stumped on this 1! I would however isolate the chick and start them all on antibiotics just in case--- better to error on the side of caution.

So you don't think it could be an air bubble?

Unfortunately, I've had so many problems with my bobs fighting that I am temporarily out of isolation cages.
hmm.png
The best I've been able to do is wash up well after I handle anything in that brooder.

What kind of antibiotics and where could I get them?

Quote:
GAMEBIRDS RESPOND WELL TO LINCOMYCIN, BUT I DOUBT YOU'LL FIND IT IN YOUR FEED STORE, ITS USUALLY A INTERENT/ MAIL ORDER DRUG--- TRY CUTLERS SUPPLY WEB SITE. ALWAYS HANDY TO HAVE ON HAND IF YOU KEEP GAMIES! I PERSONALLY DONT PUT MUCH STOCK IN OXYTET BUT THATS USUALLY WHATS IN MOST FEED STORES. IF YOUR FEED STORE IS A GOOD ONE IT MAY HAVE A WATER SOLUABLE SULFA ANTIBIOTIC--- IF SO I'D GO WITH THAT OVER OXYTET.... BUT THATS JUST ME...

IF BY CHANCE YOU DO FIND A DEFINATE CAUSE PLEASE SHOOT ME A PM! WHILE I DONT LIKE TO HEAR OR SEE OF ANYONE'S MISFORTUNE I DO LOKE TO CEAZE THE CHANCE TO LEARN AT ALL POSSIBILITIES--- MAY COME IN HANDY FOR ME PERSONALLY LATER.

Your post was just fine.
smile.png

I just wanted to double check on the air bubble thing because otherwise he seems fine. No discharges, no movement problem, no sneezing, nothing. If it wasn't for this gigantic lump on his head he'd be perfectly normal and he's had it for at least two days.

Thanks for the advice, I'll let you know if I find out for sure what it is.

If it were my quail i would isolate it and lance the swelling and
see what happens. Coturnix quail fight so much amongst themself
that i would not be suprised if it is from a fight.
keep us informed as to what you do and how the quail is doing.
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom