Swimming chicken

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by J Family, Oct 5, 2008.

1. J Family

J Family Out Of The Brooder

Dec 31, 2007
    I've heard that chickens can drown in just a little water...Today our Japanese bantam flew into the pool and paddled all around like a duck....Any thoughts??

2. pax12

pax12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2008
    PA
    lol [​IMG]

3. Justino

Justino ♪♫ Rockin' Rooster ♪♫

Dec 21, 2007
    KY
    [​IMG]

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    She's lucky to be alive. How'd she get out?

5. momma's chickens

momma's chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Idaho
    Well I am not sure but last summer one of our chickens managed to get into our above ground pool and then couldn't get out. Dh found it the next day (we are assuming) and got it out. It was just swimming around in there. However, two days after that the kids and I were in the pool and there was an egg at the bottom. We laughed pretty good at that one. [​IMG]

6. Justino

Justino ♪♫ Rockin' Rooster ♪♫

Dec 21, 2007
    KY
    momma's chickens :

Well I am not sure but last summer one of our chickens managed to get into our above ground pool and then couldn't get out. Dh found it the next day (we are assuming) and got it out. It was just swimming around in there. However, two days after that the kids and I were in the pool and there was an egg at the bottom. We laughed pretty good at that one. [​IMG]

OMG LOL!!! [​IMG]

7. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    momma's chickens :

LOL [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    That's so funny about the egg! [​IMG] "When ya gotta go..." applies here somewhat. Ha ha.

I had a friend whose rooster flew up and into their above ground pool. She heard a splash and some surprised clucking and went running to the pool to rescue it. When she got there, it was floating around, ducklike, with its legs and sickles floating behind it, looking extremely annoyed.

Another friend of mine had a huge rabbit that she would take swimming with us. It got an even more annoyed expression on its face than I assume the chicken did.

9. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

I've been told that a chicken can drown in 3 inches of water. I agree, she's probaby lucky to be alive. I'd watch her for a few days to make sure she didn't asperate any water into her lungs that may cause problems...

10. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

Glad you were able to rescue your chicken. I, unfortunately, was not so lucky with my beloved Siamese cat, Taffy. Apparently she was chasing a bug or something and fell in, then couldn't get out. She drowned, and I died a little bit that day...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by