Swimming chicken

J Family

In the Brooder
12 Years
Dec 31, 2007
I've heard that chickens can drown in just a little water...Today our Japanese bantam flew into the pool and paddled all around like a duck....Any thoughts??

lol
thumbsup.gif

Well I am not sure but last summer one of our chickens managed to get into our above ground pool and then couldn't get out. Dh found it the next day (we are assuming) and got it out. It was just swimming around in there. However, two days after that the kids and I were in the pool and there was an egg at the bottom. We laughed pretty good at that one.
big_smile.png

momma's chickens :

Well I am not sure but last summer one of our chickens managed to get into our above ground pool and then couldn't get out. Dh found it the next day (we are assuming) and got it out. It was just swimming around in there. However, two days after that the kids and I were in the pool and there was an egg at the bottom. We laughed pretty good at that one.
big_smile.png

OMG LOL!!!
lol.png

momma's chickens :

big_smile.png

LOL
gig.gif
gig.gif

That's so funny about the egg!
smile.png
"When ya gotta go..." applies here somewhat. Ha ha.

I had a friend whose rooster flew up and into their above ground pool. She heard a splash and some surprised clucking and went running to the pool to rescue it. When she got there, it was floating around, ducklike, with its legs and sickles floating behind it, looking extremely annoyed.

Another friend of mine had a huge rabbit that she would take swimming with us. It got an even more annoyed expression on its face than I assume the chicken did.

I've been told that a chicken can drown in 3 inches of water. I agree, she's probaby lucky to be alive. I'd watch her for a few days to make sure she didn't asperate any water into her lungs that may cause problems...

Glad you were able to rescue your chicken. I, unfortunately, was not so lucky with my beloved Siamese cat, Taffy. Apparently she was chasing a bug or something and fell in, then couldn't get out. She drowned, and I died a little bit that day...

Back
Top Bottom