swimming pool in run? Good idea or bad idea?

Wrightjl4

Chirping
Jul 1, 2018
Southwest Virginia
So i wanted to place a small kiddie pool in my chickens' run so they can get in and cool off. I put one in and they never swim in it. My question is: Is it even a good idea for them to be able to swim or could they possibly drown? And if they do like to get in the water whats a good way to make it easier for them to get in and cool off?

Oh! On really hot days, I give mine water to wade through, but they don't swim.

You know those aluminum pans you can get to cook in the oven? Some come with nice plastic lids- they are shallow and decent sized. I fill a couple of those with water and the girls either drink or walk/stand in it when they want to. I started this becaude I had one trying stand IN the watering dish on a hot day.

Whether or not your birds use it, it depends on the bird. But it can be a workable solution to help combat the heat.

Good luck!

So i wanted to place a small kiddie pool in my chickens' run so they can get in and cool off. I put one in and they never swim in it. My question is: Is it even a good idea for them to be able to swim or could they possibly drown? And if they do like to get in the water whats a good way to make it easier for them to get in and cool off?
Chickens don't swim, and can slip and really injure themselves in a kiddie pool. Mine tend to like a soaker hose better to play with and less dangerous for then will they can drink out of it as it's set really low too and get cooler water. another think my chickens think the kiddie pool is only good for a dust bath seems how planted it in there where they didn't like the pool , they ate all the vegetables and turned it into a dust bath. I dumped the dirt out and added water a second time and nope they still wasn't having any of that, and put the dirt back in it. If you are set on trying to use a kiddie pool please put some duct tape ot strips across it so they aren't as likely to slide and injuring themselves

Last edited:
Last summer we had a major heatwave w/ temps 100+ for 4-5 straight days. I checked my Girls on the hour, to make sure they were OK; they had fresh cool drinking water, cool treats, etc.
In an effort to cool their feet, I placed a small kiddie wading pool w/ 2" of cool water immediately OUTSIDE their enclosed run, at the door entry. It would not fit inside. My thinking is that - as they were coming out of the coop in the late afternoon, they'd step IN-to the cool water pool, and w/ cool wet feet, they'd cool down even faster.

LOL! Wouldn't you know it? They are timid and suspicious of any "new" objects, and instead of walking IN-to the cool pool water to get out of their pen, they each (one-by-one) FLEW out and over it! LOL! It was a sight to behold. :lol:

Deep all day shade is best but....

I give a dose of Sav-a-Chick electrolytes/vitamins about once a week during heat waves. It really seems to help....started this after they saved a heat stroked hen once.
Can mix up a smaller amount, just wrap the packet tight and store in a dry cool place.
Always have plain water available too.
full

BIG(9x14x2") chunks of ice last all day for wading, sitting, and sipping.
Much more useful to the chickens than frozen foods and treats.
full

Make space in your freezer!
full

They can potentially drown so I'd keep any water shallow, and provide easy exits (maybe some bricks and stones to let them climb out easily).

I put out water in large clay plant saucers, they're slip proof, extremely shallow, and heavy enough to not flip over easily. Downside is even the larger ones aren't very big and need to be refilled regularly.

Back
Top Bottom