Swiper, No swiping!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by monaname, Mar 31, 2012.

1. monaname

monaname Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    MA
    Friday morning, my husband ran a fox off, but not before the fox tried to take one of the hens. He had her in his mouth, but when my husband chased him, he dropped her. She lost a lot of feathers and was shaken up, but I brought her in the house and put her in a big cage. She rested for the remainder of the day and over night. She seems okay, but still tired. There was very little blood, just where some skin was taken where the feathers got pulled out...about the area of the tip of a pinky. Is there anything else I should do? I want to return her back to the flock as soon as possible, but I'm not sure if her weakness will be something the others will make worse.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2012
  2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Double check that she has no puncture wounds. If she has very little exposed skin and no bleeding at this point, you could try to put her back.

3. monaname

Jun 20, 2011
    MA
    Well, I attempted to return her to the flock, but she didn't really want to do anything. She just stood there. No one bothered her. I watched her for awhile, but then I took another good close look at her. She had an enormous poop stuck to all her fine butt feathers. So, I took her back inside and gave her a bath. It was her first bath and the 2nd time I ever had to work poop off her butt. The first time was when she was five days old in order to prevent her vent from pasting. So, since she was wet from her bath, back into the clean brooder she went with a heat lamp to dry her off and keep her warm. I think I'll keep her another night in the brooder and try her back again tomorrow.

4. bnjrob

bnjrob Overrun With Chickens

Dec 31, 2008
    North TX
    There can be soft tissue injury without any open wounds, not to mention just the stress that the mental trauma can cause. Give her some time to re-acclimate and rest.

5. monaname

Jun 20, 2011
    MA
    I think you're right. She's ate, drank and is now resting for the night in the brooder. TY

6. annep

annep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2011
    It took my survivor, who I named Lucky, several days to come out of shock. Be patient..she will be fine. she even laid a really goofed up egg...oh, and yes, I did laugh at your title.

7. monaname

Jun 20, 2011
    MA
    Thanks. She's still in the brooder and resting....

8. nthehunt

nthehunt Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2012
    Virginia
    I don't get the title???:/

9. Markallen

Markallen Out Of The Brooder

Jan 8, 2012
    Northern AZ
    Anyone with young kids or grand kids will get the title right away,,its from a kids show called Dora the Explorer, and Swiper is the racoon. I must hear no swiping swiper 10 times a day lol..

10. nthehunt

nthehunt Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2012
    Virginia
    don't want to hijack thread but is your avitar an American Guinea Hog?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by