1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Switch from medicated?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by TeePants, Sep 12, 2011.

1. TeePants

TeePants Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2011
    The chicks I got are 4 weeks old and were on Purina's medicated chick starter, and that's honestly all you can really get around here. I'd like to wean them off it though and onto a non-medicated chick feed, but I don't want to cause them to get sick if they're relying on the meds in the feed to maintain a resistance to the cocci bacteria.

Would it be safe to switch them in another month or so to something that's not medicated? I change their bedding daily but they're chickens - they walk in their own poop, and unless I put a grate into their pen they're going to be getting exposed to the bacteria.

If I do switch, would this one be ok? http://www.countrysideorganics.com/product.php?productid=336&cat=51&page=1

Thanks
    !

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I think the majority of medicated feed bags I have seen recommend you feed it for at least 6 weeks, so another month or so from now you'd do fine to switch.

BTW, you actually want them exposed to the droppings. The most common of medications in medicated feed, amprolium, aids in preventing the cocci from overwhelming the chicks system while at the same time it helps to build an immunity to it. However, an immune system has to be exposed to something in order to trigger an immune response.

When I raise chicks in the brooder, I feed medicated feed but I also get them out on the soil where they'll be exposed to cocci at the earliest age I can safely do so.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by