Switch Heat Source from Heat Lamp to Brinsea Eco Glow

My first chicks were brooded under a heat lamp. The electric bill was crazy high. I tried the brooder plate on my second batch. OMG! I can't say enough good things about it. Lower electric bill, the chicks were calmer and naturally adjusted to day / night cycles and feathered out a bit faster. I have the lamp on hand if ever the need arise. But I don't plan on using it.

1651148-0d831e6d52f44f8dc45ae552dbe35f48.gif

I too used a heat lamp my first time. Since then I've started using a brooder plate and I'll never use a light again. My chicks feather out faster, are outside right after hatch and truly seem more robust than those brooded indoors with a light. Biggest bonus for me was sleeping all night.

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome and fantastic support. Brooder plate arrives tomorrow! :jumpy
Enjoy it. It's so nice to see the little babies go under there. They can hide and warm up just like they would under their momma. Very comforting for them. It plays to their instincts much more than the light.

I'm late to this conversation but wanted to point out that EcoGlow has a minimum ambient temperature of 50F. It's meant to be used in an already heated space (like a human house) but also suits mild climates.

It wasn't enough heat for my outdoor brooding purposes so I went with the DIY mama heating pad. My investment was $10, junk I already had, and some time. I now have a brooder solution with 3 settings that doesn't overheat my small coop even on high (low is probably close to the EcoGlow, high is 50W and plenty for the coldest weather we get).

Having used both, I won't go back to the lamp for brooding small batches. There's just no reason to.

Back
Top Bottom