Switching eggs for ducklings

ATrumble

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 26, 2013
Ok so i have this blue swedish sitting on a nest the eggs were due to hatch yesterday but so far no pips or any other sign they going to hatch soon. I am going to give her a few more days to a week to see if maybe i just had the day she started sitting later than i thought she did, i was never able to candle them as she is very protective of her nest and i don't get to see the eggs often. So my question is if i decide that the eggs are not going to hatch could i buy a few duckling else where and sneak them in under her in the middle of the night or do you think she would reject them? I just feel so bad for her last year she keep trying to go broody but every time she put her nest outside and they are cooped at night, she would always run to where her nest was the next day and you could see her sadness that they were gone in the morning
hit.gif
. this time she put it in the coop but i just have this feeling that they aren't going to hatch so i thought maybe i could get her to adopt some. what do you all think?

Ok so i have this blue swedish sitting on a nest the eggs were due to hatch yesterday but so far no pips or any other sign they going to hatch soon. I am going to give her a few more days to a week to see if maybe i just had the day she started sitting later than i thought she did, i was never able to candle them as she is very protective of her nest and i don't get to see the eggs often. So my question is if i decide that the eggs are not going to hatch could i buy a few duckling else where and sneak them in under her in the middle of the night or do you think she would reject them? I just feel so bad for her last year she keep trying to go broody but every time she put her nest outside and they are cooped at night, she would always run to where her nest was the next day and you could see her sadness that they were gone in the morning
hit.gif
. this time she put it in the coop but i just have this feeling that they aren't going to hatch so i thought maybe i could get her to adopt some. what do you all think?
Might be worth a try, just make sure ducklings are 1-2 days old for them to bond to her also, I do hope she gets some ducklings for all her time.
fl.gif
Be sure to when you put them under her to hold your hand over top so she doesn't see them and if she pecks with her bill it will be you and not a duckling, please let us know how it goes. and
welcome-byc.gif

Back
Top Bottom