Switching feed upset stomach?

critterlover

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 15, 2009
Connecticut
I just switched my 5 months old girls from Start and Grow to Layer feed. Today I noticed more poops that were a little loose and medium brown in color. They all seem fine, but could they have stomach upset from switching the feed? Does it take a few days for them to adjust?

Yes it will and yes it does. Anytime you change feeds abrutly you take the chance of upsetting the digestive systems.
It is really better to like for a few days half and half it and then take out a little at a time until they are fully on the layer.
But you have done it now and that is ok no harm done.. it will take them a few days to get stools in order. If you want you can cook them
some rice and that will help.

Yes rice, of course. I did not think of that. I will give them some tomorrow.

I was completely out of the Start and Grow and it was one of those cases where it was time to switch them so I just bought a big bag of the layer feed. I know from my other animals that I should have transitioned them over and thought of that late last night (yesterday was their first day on the new feed). They are eating normally, so the upset does not seem to be bother them, just their poops are a little off.

Back
Top Bottom