switching from chick starter...

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Hopefulloflove, Sep 9, 2011.

1. Hopefulloflove

Hopefulloflove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Benson, NC
    At what age do you change the chicks diet? Mine are about 9 weeks old. Right now they are on chick starter, and whatever treats they get...clover, tomatoes, cucumbers, raisins, bread, whatever we have left over....Are they missing out on anything that I should be giving them? I just want to make sure that I am giving them all that they need. This is my first time having chickens and I love them! [​IMG]

2. nivtup

nivtup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Shelton Washington
    Keep the treats to a minimum, small portion of thier diet.

16 weeks is a good time to think about changing feed, or at point of lay.

Have fun.

3. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

The chick starter we use says to feed it until 18 weeks. We did just switch to multi flock though, which is less protein and not medicated. Our chicks are 15 weeks old. When they start laying or at around 19-20 weeks we'll switch to layer or add oyster shell to the multi flock.

4. yinzerchick

yinzerchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    E.Texas
    I used the chick start until they were about 18-20 weeks. Most say when they start to lay that's when you should switch to layer feed. Also, since your giving treats, you probably should give them some chick grit to help them digest everything, especially greens. (Try not to give too many treats, but I know that's easier said than done!)[​IMG]

5. saladin

saladin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    Quote:Sometimes it depends on the breed. For example, with Orientals we take them off starter when around 12 weeks because the protein is way to high for them.

Personally, I prefer to use a 16% feed after 12 weeks with all my birds; excepting the Stags. They are set free at 12 weeks to eat grass, bugs, mice, etc. I feed them very minimally.

One of the best Oriental breeders in the country is in Benson.

6. tclegg

tclegg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Parkersburg
    Quote:X2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by