Switching from crumbles to pellets???

Sue S

Songster
Mar 7, 2018
Pa
Quick question? I've been feeding my ducks Dumor crumbles, when I was at Tractor Supply today I bought a 5LB bag of Purina duck feed pellets. I'm hoping the pellets will be less waste, has anybody tried the Purina brand of duck food & do the pellets really help with less waste of the food????

Quick question? I've been feeding my ducks Dumor crumbles, when I was at Tractor Supply today I bought a 5LB bag of Purina duck feed pellets. I'm hoping the pellets will be less waste, has anybody tried the Purina brand of duck food & do the pellets really help with less waste of the food????

The waste shouldn't be that different. How are you feeding this to your ducks? I think that is the part that can increase or eliminate waste of food.

Watching! I've never tried pellets, but I'm tempted by the seeming convenience of them.

Though I will say: ever since having to add water to the crumble out of necessity (soup for my formerly-injured goose) I've noticed almost zero food waste, as long as I'm consistently giving them only what they can eat. If the pellets don't work out, perhaps attempt adding water? Or maybe even fermenting the food.

Watching! I've never tried pellets, but I'm tempted by the seeming convenience of them.

Though I will say: ever since having to add water to the crumble out of necessity (soup for my formerly-injured goose) I've noticed almost zero food waste, as long as I'm consistently giving them only what they can eat. If the pellets don't work out, perhaps attempt adding water? Or maybe even fermenting the food.

I do fermented feed and there is very little waste. Well, they do like to shake their head back and forth which slings it around and there is a little duck highway where they take a bite and run to their waterer to mix it with water. So there is still some waste. Fermented feed is supposed to lower feed costs due to making the nutrients more bioavailable, which in turn means they need less feed. Plus the beneficial gut microbes. I've never done pure dried feed so I'm not sure if it lowered my costs. I go through a 50lb Purina crumbles bag in about 6 weeks with 5 ducks. They get some vegetation and bugs from the garden but that is where most of their calories come from.

I think it would be more helpful to know the OP's current feeding routine.

@quackiemama I believe just bought duck pellets. I feed pellets an it’s def less waste.

The waste shouldn't be that different. How are you feeding this to your ducks? I think that is the part that can increase or eliminate waste of food.
My ducks are feed in the evenings, they free range all day. I found that it's easier to get them into the pen at night if I feed in the evenings. I don't use a hanging feeder I have 2 large bowls that are on the floor of the run & pen, so all of my 9 ducks don't have to fight over the food from just 1 container.

Back
Top Bottom