Switching to layer feed....

sunny & the 5 egg layers

Crowing
8 Years
Mar 29, 2011
My 6 chickens are 15 weeks old and I am getting low on feed. I am going to go to the feed store tomorrow and pick up another bag. But would it be ok to switch them to layer now even though they havent laid yet? I read that too much calcium is bad for them...

I just read where it is advisable to start them on layer a couple of weeks before you think they are ready to start laying. If you are getting the signs they are close, then I would think it is a good idea to start them on the layer. We're still a ways off on laying, (13 weeks right now) but the wattles and combs are growing and they are getting more red by the day. Another month or so and we should be close. Our Golden Comets can start anytime after 18 weeks.

Also, some feeds do tell you to start them on layer when they reach 18 weeks and keep them with it from there on.

I don't know about the feeds you have available but all of the medicated starter or grower mixes I have seen in Australia warn you to stop using them two weeks before point of lay. Either that or you have to discard the eggs for two weeks. In which case about 14 weeks would be fine. Somewhere recently I read that the extra calcium is OK after about 12 weeks. I have read so much lately I just can't remember where that tid bit came from.

sunny & the 5 egg layers :

My 6 chickens are 15 weeks old and I am getting low on feed. I am going to go to the feed store tomorrow and pick up another bag. But would it be ok to switch them to layer now even though they havent laid yet? I read that too much calcium is bad for them...

There have been some ag studies which show that layer feed, with higher calcium, is actually beneficial when the pullets are within a few weeks of lay. The fear of high calcium doing damage is just about passed at 15 weeks. If I were in your position, I'd buy the layer, or Flock Raiser and a bag of shells from which they pick.

It's good to remember that all feed has some calcium. The layer feed simply has additional calcium.​

Back
Top Bottom