Switching to sand bedding, need help on what to use

Fluffy_Feathers

Songster
6 Years
Jul 6, 2017
Missouri
So I have big fly problems in the summer, especially when it is wet. I have been using hay, but now have learned that hay isn't actually the best to use and can actually attract flies. So, I am wanting to switch to sand. I know that sand can't be too fine and dusty or else that will cause respiratory problems. I've read that washed sand is good because there is less dust, but the washed sand I've looked at still have warnings that talk about respiratory problems. Any suggestions on what sand I should use that would be safe?

So I have big fly problems in the summer, especially when it is wet. I have been using hay, but now have learned that hay isn't actually the best to use and can actually attract flies. So, I am wanting to switch to sand. I know that sand can't be too fine and dusty or else that will cause respiratory problems. I've read that washed sand is good because there is less dust, but the washed sand I've looked at still have warnings that talk about respiratory problems. Any suggestions on what sand I should use that would be safe?
The best sand to use is usually labeled as construction or river sand. I'm having trouble finding it myself, but I know that many people talk to their local quarries and are able to get coarse sand of some sort pretty cheap.

The best sand to use is usually labeled as construction or river sand. I'm having trouble finding it myself, but I know that many people talk to their local quarries and are able to get coarse sand of some sort pretty cheap.
I got some sand-in-a-tube, do you this is okay? Seems to be a lot of fine pieces

Attachments

• 20200611_093739.jpg
    20200611_093739.jpg
    427.4 KB · Views: 4
I got some sand-in-a-tube, do you this is okay? Seems to be a lot of fine pieces
It looks like it's mostly small rocks instead of sand. You'd probably want a higher sand to rock ratio, but that's really all I can offer. You kind of have to trust your gut with it. If you're worried about it you can try something else.

Back
Top Bottom