Swollen abdomen and ulcer..?

Nats Chickens

Free Ranging
Jun 20, 2018
NSW, Australia
My Coop
My Coop
Tinky is my little sister's three year old leghorn x rhode island white.
Lately I noticed her abdomen was a bit "off". She is a very thin, sleek bird, but she started to develop a bit of a posture like some of my "fuller" birds - australorp x rhode island reds etc...
Her eggs (when she lays them) are oddly shaped, or have no shell, or have two shells, or a thin shell, or no yolk.
I picked her up and felt her abdomen between her legs and under her tail area, and it felt like it was full of fluid...I also noticed an ulcer/cut on her wattle, it is swollen, but it could just be from a "tuff".
IMG_3007.JPG

I also witnessed her do this poo:
IMG_3017.JPG

Could it be organ malfunction? An infection? She is on the older end of the spectrum for these sorts of "breeds/hybrids". (All the people around here I know who keep this sort, like Australorp x RIR and RIR x RIW and RIW x Leghorn, say they start to die off at about three) Does anyone know?

I can't drain the fluid, I am not that experienced (and I can't affored a vet for a chicken, I know some people will think this harsh, but in my opinion, a chicken is a chicken, no matter how attached to it you are. Another thing is that she is older, and not laying. I will go as far as possible with home remides if I can find the ingredients around the house, but apart from that, I really don't have the money for a vet or medication). She has been like this for about a week. Her diet consists of whatever bugs she digs up in the chicken run, and premium layer mash.

Tinky is my little sister's three year old leghorn x rhode island white.
Lately I noticed her abdomen was a bit "off". She is a very thin, sleek bird, but she started to develop a bit of a posture like some of my "fuller" birds - australorp x rhode island reds etc...
Her eggs (when she lays them) are oddly shaped, or have no shell, or have two shells, or a thin shell, or no yolk.
I picked her up and felt her abdomen between her legs and under her tail area, and it felt like it was full of fluid...I also noticed an ulcer/cut on her wattle, it is swollen, but it could just be from a "tuff".
View attachment 2034180
I also witnessed her do this poo:
View attachment 2034184
Could it be organ malfunction? An infection? She is on the older end of the spectrum for these sorts of "breeds/hybrids". (All the people around here I know who keep this sort, like Australorp x RIR and RIR x RIW and RIW x Leghorn, say they start to die off at about three) Does anyone know?
Check her wattle for a tick. I had one similar and slowly pulled it off. Just an idea. Good luck and has she been eating a lot of greens of some sort? That poop is so green.

Back
Top Bottom