1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Swollen Abdomen???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SuperChickRuth, Feb 12, 2016.

1. SuperChickRuth

SuperChickRuth Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2016
  2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Sorry, I don't see any photos, that would help to see what you are describing.
    Is the vent swollen as well? Can you get a photo of that too?

3. SuperChickRuth

Feb 11, 2016

Last edited: Feb 13, 2016
  4. SuperChickRuth

Feb 11, 2016
    Sorry- having trouble with posting pictures. They show up when I click "edit" but then disappear when I post it.

5. huntingirl

huntingirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2016
    How's she been? Any better? Any worse?

6. SuperChickRuth

Feb 11, 2016
    [​IMG]We just gave her a bath, so that's why she looks a little scraggily. I think it's probably internal egg laying... egg peritonitis... just a guess on that spelling. Her crop looks good- just gave her olive oil soaked bread and she loved it.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 13, 2016
  7. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Poor thing. It could be internal laying, peritonitis or ascites.
    I'm glad to crop is getting better.
    You may want to see if she will take some crumbles or layer feed made into a wet mash (mix with warm water). Wet poultry food is generally easy to digest.
    You could also offer her some vitamins/electrolytes in her water. If it is internal laying, you may want to take her back to the vet, sometimes they can drain the belly which may ease her discomfort for a period of time.

8. SuperChickRuth

Feb 11, 2016
    Yeah... But then there's the whole thing- $5 dollar chicken, and $100 vet visit.

Is there anything we can do to make her more comfortable here at home? Are baths a good idea? We've given her two so far.

9. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
  10. SuperChickRuth

Feb 11, 2016
    **Update**
    She's still hanging on. Her crop seems to be fine, and she acts normal except for the swollen abdomen- penguin walk- and recently she hasn't want to eat anything but a little bit of yogurt. What else should I be giving her to help her? What do you give a sick chicken to give them a "boost"? All I know is ACV, yogurt, and olive oil bread.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by