Swollen Abdomen???

The best thing for her is her regular poultry feed, altering the diet can throw them a bit off kilter. That said, if she won't eat her layer feed dry, try mixing it with a little warm water and make it into a mash. Mine love wet food, so I usually take them a little dish of it everyday and they think I have brought them a "treat".
I would also give her vitamins/electrolytes in her water (you could also use some of this water to wet her feed too). Most feed stores carry a selection of these. In a pinch you could give her a little gatorade.
Some chickens will eat scrambled/boiled egg or tuna when they won't take anything else, this will give her a boost in protein.
The most important thing is hydration.
I've provided you a couple of links that may be helpful. If you find that you need to tube feed her, you can pm @casportpony who is exceptional with advise on tube feeding, I'm sure she will be happy to assist you in that department.

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2015/02/how-to-help-sick-chicken.html

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/805728/go-team-tube-feeding

Okay, so after doing more research, we think she has ascites. My dad tried to "drain" her with a needle, but nothing really came out. She's really going down hill- labored breathing and swollen abdomen. Working on getting a syringe right now. Advice needed! I really don't know what to do.
hmm.png

I'm sorry she is not doing better.
You can try watching some videos on youtube where they drain the fluid. These are the only place I have seen it done.
Ascites can cause the labored breathing and may sometimes turn into an infection. Unfortunately there is no "cure". IMO your goal at this point will be for comfort.
Please keep us updated.

http://www.hobbyfarms.com/6-causes-of-swollen-abdomen-in-chickens-2/

Is it okay to take her outside?
She's just standing in the corner of the dog crate. Seems to be hungry, but isn't drinking water, and still doing the penguin walk.

I don't think it would hurt if it's fairly warm. It may do her some good - might relieve a little stress - who doesn't love sunshine. Just keep an eye on her, but let her do some "chicken things" if she feels like it.
You could try wet food. Mix some of her food with a little warm water and see if she will eat it. Also some scrambled/hard boiled egg or tuna would be good if she won't eat her food.
Water is important, so encourage her to drink, if she won't you can use an eye dropper or needle less syringe give her a little at a time.

hit.gif
Oh, no,just brought her outside, and stuff came out of her mouth- yellowish liquid. Also making gurgling noises and seems to have trouble breathing! Help! It seems like...IDK....Hopefully it's not the end for her... Anything we can do for her????

It sounds like a crop issue. Is it possible her system is all clogged up? Has she been pooping regularly? If so does it look normal?

hit.gif
Oh, no,just brought her outside, and stuff came out of her mouth- yellowish liquid. Also making gurgling noises and seems to have trouble breathing! Help! It seems like...IDK....Hopefully it's not the end for her... Anything we can do for her????
Sounds like fluid accumulation from the Ascites. Unfortunately gurgling and trouble breathing is associated with the condition. Were you able to drain any fluids?
The excess fluids can put internal stress on her organs, causing further complications.
Since she did have a crop issue before, she could have aspirated fluid from the crop if it is not working properly.

Back
Top Bottom