Swollen around the eye

Aug 5, 2021
Copperas Cove, TX
Hello! Does anyone know what might cause this? He is acting normal, no drainage from eye, mouth or nose. Only swollen around the eye. I put a warm compress on it. I only have visine drops handy. I ordered some Vetericyn antimicrobial wash. What else can I do?

Attachments

• 20230125_191606.jpg
    20230125_191606.jpg
    274.3 KB · Views: 61
  • 20230125_190724.jpg
    20230125_190724.jpg
    362.5 KB · Views: 7
I had a hen like this, it was her first and only symptom, and then she got some small bubbles in her eye. She had MG (mycoplasma gallisepticum) and I treated her with Tylosin powder.

Here’s a quote from someone more experienced..
“That could be mycoplasma gallisepticum or MG. Tylan 50 if you can find it at your feed store, can treat it. Give it orally, 1/4 ml per pound 3 times a day for 5 days. Tylosin powder, the generic form may be found online. Dosage is 1 tsp per gallon of water for 5 days. Here is a link for where to buy it:

https://birdpalproducts.com/products/tylosin-powder-for-birds

Could be a sting, but if I’d keep a close eye for any other symptoms.

Have you heard any sneeze or cough, wheezing, rattles, or cough? Could he have been pecked or stung? Certain respiratory diseases (MG, coryza) can cause swelling on an eyelid. Sometimes there may be pus in the eye socket that needs to come out. I would probably try to get Tylan 50 to give orally, or Tylosin generic Tylan powder for the water to treat in case of MG.

Same. I have been bringing him in and putting a warm compress on it, then antimicrobial drops and then putting Terramycin eye ointment in it. It's only been a full day of this so far. He is acting normally and has no other symptoms, so I have no idea what it is. Thank you for checking on him.

How's he doing?
Thanks for asking. He has gotten a little worse, one nostril same side of as the puffy eye is clogged. I got a hold of a Dr at our poultry lab that thankfully was willing to help me. We have 0 poultry vets around here. Anyway, he thinks it is a localized infection and recommended LA-200. He got his first dose last night. He will get another in 3 days. What ever he has, its slow growing and only effecting him. His eye has been puffy for a while and so far nothing has worked. I am hoping this will knock out whatever it is.

Back
Top Bottom