Swollen/bloated crop & legtharic 6 week old RiR

sophie90

In the Brooder
Jun 27, 2020
South Wales, UK
Looking for some advice please!
My (assumed) RiR roo isn't looking too great today...

I've gone in this morning to find him looking pretty quiet and reserved in the brooder, which is very unlike him and my other RiR
You can see in the picture below the difference between him and my other RiR in the way they're standing (same hatch/age)

His little head in tucked in and feathers sort of ruffled, and he's just walking around slowly when he's not just standing still.
His crop seems pretty puffed up and full compared to usual too - I've marked in the photo - sorry, it's really pointing out the obvious!

Was his usual self yesterday and spent a couple of hours outside in the run with my other RiR
These two are my oldest, so no other chickens are in or have been in the coop or run.

The past week or so they've been having field trips outside into their coop and run now that they're no longer under heat.
The run is on my lawn with a concrete slab in there too where I scatter feed and grit - could he have eaten too much grass or something?

I've scattered some grit today which he had a little peck at, but not much interest
Same when I've given them chick crumb - I have seen him take a couple of sips of water too.

The poops yesterday all looked pretty normal, and those that I cleaned up from the brooder today do too.

My copper maran who hatched the same time as these two died about a week and a half ago. He was much smaller and weaker to begin with and also had a big air bubble/blister on one side which we think might have interfered with his crop a bit. So after what happened with him I'm really worried!!

I've been to the pet shop today with the intention of getting some apple cider vinegar to try and some nutri-drops - but they were waiting on a delivery this week.
I've ordered online now but they probably won't arrive for a few days and I'm panicking!

Thanks in advance for any advice!

IMG_0110.png
IMG_0112.png

Thank you - he's much more himself now, phew!

I tried some drops of olive oil and massaging his crop gently - not sure if it's just coincidence but it does seem to have done the trick and the bloating started to go down slowly.

Back
Top Bottom