Swollen bloody cloacal area

Joanna6

Chirping
Dec 27, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
Hello, I have one of my Australorps who in the last 24 hrs has developed a swollen area in her cloacal area or has been injured by one of the other hens (no rooster). I have not treated her in any way, but have isolated her with food and water. I have observed her drinking. No other hen is showing this, but have had trouble with one of the hens pecking others in their posteriors. This looks to be more than that. Swollen area that moves slightly as she walks dripping small amount of blood, but not a lot. See photos, Can anyone help?

Attachments

• IMG_6651.jpeg
    IMG_6651.jpeg
    453.8 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_6646.jpeg
    IMG_6646.jpeg
    458.6 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_6649.jpeg
    IMG_6649.jpeg
    447.6 KB · Views: 3
That looks to be a prolapsed cloaca that had been pecked and injured, and they have pulled out more of it. You will need to separate the chicken, and keep the prolapse tissue moist so that it doesn’t dry out and die. Vaseline products or hydrocortisone cream work well. Keep it clean, and make sure that she is able to poop.

I would look at who is doing the vent pecking and separate them. Make sure that they have enough room and are getting outside to free range. Boredom, overcrowding, and not enough protein in the diet can be reasons for vent pecking. It can lead to cannibalism and death.

That looks to be a prolapsed cloaca that had been pecked and injured, and they have pulled out more of it. You will need to separate the chicken, and keep the prolapse tissue moist so that it doesn’t dry out and die. Vaseline products or hydrocortisone cream work well. Keep it clean, and make sure that she is able to poop.

I would look at who is doing the vent pecking and separate them. Make sure that they have enough room and are getting outside to free range. Boredom, overcrowding, and not enough protein in the diet can be reasons for vent pecking. It can lead to cannibalism and death.
Thank you so much. I have neosporin and MicrocyAH (see pix). Would this do?

Attachments

• IMG_6652.jpeg
    IMG_6652.jpeg
    362.6 KB · Views: 4
That would be fine to use. Then apply the plain Neosporin to keep it from drying out. A human calcium tablet with d3 may help muscle contraction. Vet care is always a good thing when the prolapse is large. Let us know how she gets along.

Back
Top Bottom