Swollen butt? HELP!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 44Wolves, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. 44Wolves

44Wolves Here is Your New Title

Jun 28, 2009
    [​IMG]

Hello! My.... uh..... 3 year old EE, who looks JUST like the one in the above picture, seems to have a bit of an issue. Her butt is missing a few feathers, probably from the normal pecking order, and there are still stumps from her last molt. She is ALL the way at the bottom of my 3-chicken pecking order. She is completely like the other 2 hens- walks normal, sleeps normal, eats and drinks, no problems breathing, etc. Basucally ALL the isgns of a healthy chicken. The only thing is, she seems to be a bit fatter, if that helps, and her butt is a bit swollen. The swollen place is about an inch below her vent, and looks like this:
    [​IMG]

So, yeah.... what is wrong with her?

Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
  2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Um...pics aren't working.

3. 44Wolves

Jun 28, 2009
    They aren't supposed to e_o They are links. They aren't my saved pictures, as I don't actually HAVE any of her butt. So, I found one that looks like it.

4. 44Wolves

Jun 28, 2009
    Please, anyone??!

5. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    The second link goes to a site, but no specific picture. We can't see what you're talking about - so really can't help!

6. klmclain1

Mar 14, 2011
    Actually, neither link goes to a picture - just a site.

7. 44Wolves

Jun 28, 2009
    -Updated Pics-

8. klmclain1

Mar 14, 2011
    Now that there're pictures, maybe someone can help!

9. nuttyredhead

nuttyredhead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Southern NH
    I have a few that look like her and with mine it is either a feather picker or they need more protein. I put them on a very high protein (game bird) feed and but the picker in chicken jail! Today i noticed some little feather growing back! Mine were losing them from all over though not just one place. Im sure someone else will chime in. Good Luck.

10. 44Wolves

Jun 28, 2009
    Thanks! I think I'll od that. What else could give them more protein, besides switching the feed? Cooked eggs? Yogurt?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by