Swollen cheek, bleeding through nostrils.

Yes, this saved my bacon when using a syringe for Pickles’ amoxicillin but this new antibiotic is supposed to be via the ducks‘ drinking water. That’s the part I don’t know how to administer. My ducks get their water all muddy 30 seconds after I give them fresh clean water (in their swimming pool). How do I stop Pickles from dirtying her medicated water AND have bathing/swimming water in the same area? How am I supposed to ensure she’s getting the proper dosage of antibiotics in that setup? (Not that the directions tell me how much she should be getting).

Yes, this saved my bacon when using a syringe for Pickles’ amoxicillin but this new antibiotic is supposed to be via the ducks‘ drinking water. That’s the part I don’t know how to administer. My ducks get their water all muddy 30 seconds after I give them fresh clean water (in their swimming pool). How do I stop Pickles from dirtying her medicated water AND have bathing/swimming water in the same area? How am I supposed to ensure she’s getting the proper dosage of antibiotics in that setup? (Not that the directions tell me how much she should be getting).

How long did the vet say you have to offer the solution?

You'll have to take the kiddie pool, and offer only water source with the antibiotics in it. The water dish will have to be small so they can't play in it, and splash the water around.

How long did the vet say you have to offer the solution?

You'll have to take the kiddie pool, and offer only water source with the antibiotics in it. The water dish will have to be small so they can't play in it, and splash the water around.
Vet didn’t indicate on the antibiotics and it was my wife who spoke to the vet. I will start this tomorrow. I have a separate pen I setup for the daytime but nighttime is with the other ducks.

Vet didn’t indicate on the antibiotics and it was my wife who spoke to the vet. I will start this tomorrow. I have a separate pen I setup for the daytime but nighttime is with the other ducks.

Gotcha.

And I might add, to maintain hygiene, you can offer a deep water dish that they can play in, or nonetheless dunk their heads in just a few times a day, but most of there water intake needs to come from the medicated water.

Gotcha.

And I might add, to maintain hygiene, you can offer a deep water dish that they can play in, or nonetheless dunk their heads in just a few times a day, but most of there water intake needs to come from the medicated water.

Thank you Isaac!

What I’m reading tonight, this antibiotic (Tetracycline) seems better suited to e.coli. Hopefully it starts working quickly.

still, Pickles doesn’t seem to be bothered by it. Acting just like the other ducks. And as I think you said a month ago, ducks have a high metabolism so they can recover quickly but can also die quickly too.

Thank you Isaac!

What I’m reading tonight, this antibiotic (Tetracycline) seems better suited to e.coli. Hopefully it starts working quickly.

still, Pickles doesn’t seem to be bothered by it. Acting just like the other ducks. And as I think you said a month ago, ducks have a high metabolism so they can recover quickly but can also die quickly too.

You're most certainly welcome! :D

Hope Pickles starts to see improvement soon! :fl

I'm so glad to hear pickles have some relief.
I wanted to comment on something you could try to keep them out of their water dish. I found a neat little hack that helped keep my ducklings drinking water IMMENSELY cleaner. If you have a plastic gallon milk carton, cut 4 'windows' on each side, make sure they are high enough so when its filled with water they can fully submerge their head/bills. This helped keep my ducklings from swimming in their water when they were still in the brooder.

Something similar to the picture below. Hope it helps.
Duckling Care & Brooder Ideas.jpg

Back
Top Bottom