Swollen chick - ruptured air sac?

Mamawills

In the Brooder
Jun 3, 2020
Three week old chick looks all swollen and feels like a balloon. I’m wondering if it is a ruptured air sac? I’ve read about using a needle to deflate but am concerned about infection. Chick is eating and drinking. Has anyone experienced this and does it resolve on its own? Thank you!
C6D34B5D-F9B7-42D0-BB38-9D47DC4EAFE4.jpeg

If it feels like air then it's likely a ruptured air sac. Sometimes they will resolve on their own. If it continues to get bigger, or the chick has trouble breathing, then you will need to release the air. If you sterilize the needle, disinfect the skin where you prick it, and apply a tiny dab of plain neosporin or plain triple antibiotic ointment to the spot you prick, then risk of infection is low. Not zero, but low. Sometimes you may have to do it more than once, as they can refill until the air sac has time to heal up. Releasing the air trapped under the skin takes the pressure off the air sac, allowing it to heal up. Chicks can rupture air sacs running into things, each other, falling or being dropped, or just getting knocked around.

I had a 2 week old chick who suffered a bump or injury, and it caused the chick to have a ruptured air sac on it’s entire right chest and abdomen. It had clicking with each breath, so I took the only needle and syringe I had, a 22 gauge needle, and pulled the air out from just under the skin. It came back a couple of times, but finally was relieved. The chick appeared almost dead afterwards, but it finally perked up and recovered.

A lot depends on if the area is very large or if the chick is struggling to breathe or not. The clicking is a common sign of problems. You can use the needle and then press the air out, or try to use a syringe to pull it out. I had to puncture several areas. I used a sterile needle, but did not disinfect skin. Here is a video which shows air being removed from a bird:

Thank you - that is really helpful. My friend has a syringe and needle I can use so will try later today and let you l own how it gets on.

Thank you all for your help. Was able to use a needle and syringe last night and gently inserted under the skin on back by wing (in a big air bubble and could see no veins). Was able to remove the air and chick looking much more like a chick! It’s looking well and eating/drinking this morning so will continue to keep a close eye. Thank you all for your help!
89051ABC-7130-4764-9B96-4602416CC033.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom