Swollen chicken

Beloved Turkey

Chirping
Apr 3, 2023
I have a chicken who is swollen on her bum in the cloaca and oviduct area, above her vent. I don’t l pe if it’s water Nelly because she has no symptoms. I had a chicken with the swollen but she was also lethargic. This chicken is definitely not lethargic but I’m giving her Epsom salt bathes with helped healed the other chicken. Any ideas

I have a chicken who is swollen on her bum in the cloaca and oviduct area, above her vent. I don’t l pe if it’s water Nelly because she has no symptoms. I had a chicken with the swollen but she was also lethargic. This chicken is definitely not lethargic but I’m giving her Epsom salt bathes with helped healed the other chicken. Any ideas
Can you please post photos? Her, her vent, her poop?
Thanks.

How old is she?
Does she lay eggs? When was the last one?

Can you please post photos? Her, her vent, her poop?
Thanks.

How old is she?
Does she lay eggs? When was the last one?
I just got back from a vacation so I don’t know when her last egg was, but she does lay. She’s a rescue so I don’t know how old she is, she is pooping but she spilled her water bowl so I had to clean it all up. I know I’m really unhelpful so I’ll post pictures of poop when I can. I have felt for an egg, and I don’t feel one but I’ll keep checking

You sure the swelling is above her vent and not under it? Pictures can be helpful.
I haven’t been able to get a picture because she has lots of feathers in the area and is still active so she always gets away from the camera. The only thing wrong with her is the swollen bum, she’s also a little less active that usual but no where near lethargic

A swollen lower belly could be ascites fluid (water belly) or a reproductive disorder, such as salpingitis, cancer, or infection. Does it feel like fluid or a solid mass? Ascites can cause labored breathing. It is related to reproductive disorders, cancer, and sometimes fatty liver. Draining with an 18 gauge needle may temporarily relieve pressure, but the condition is eventually fatal.

A swollen lower belly could be ascites fluid (water belly) or a reproductive disorder, such as salpingitis, cancer, or infection. Does it feel like fluid or a solid mass? Ascites can cause labored breathing. It is related to reproductive disorders, cancer, and sometimes fatty liver. Draining with an 18 gauge needle may temporarily relieve pressure, but the condition is eventually fatal.
It’s more watery

Is there anything else I can do to help her

Back
Top Bottom