Swollen crop on baby bantam

elc0711

Hatching
Mar 21, 2020
I'm sorry. I'm stumped. I have no ideas.

Is this chick behaving normally like the others?
Could this be another (more extreme) case of swollen air sac like you suggested on my chick last night? The bald spot looks to be in about the same location as my chick..

azygous

Crossing the Road
10 Years
Dec 11, 2009
Colorado Rockies
It's a possibility. There is such a thing as air sac disease, but I find it difficult to associate it with a new chick. I rather suspect it's something transient, whatever is causing this.

However, if the chick is behaving lethargically with droopy wings, not eating, stops growing, then I'd suspect a disease. Unless the chick is acting sick, I'd give it more time to resolve on its own.

Wyorp Rock

Enabler
Sep 20, 2015
Southern N.C. Mountains

sunny_bellyboo

Songster
Dec 28, 2019
Ohio
I would make sure she has drank. Then for the night, withhold food/water.
That looks like the crop to me. Is she pooping?

She's normally running around? You're just holding her on her back right?
We did that and yes she's pooping

Yes and yes.

I can't do much if an update today considering I have 2 houses and I'm at the other one today. But at the end of the day my dad can get me an update and I'll give it to you guys!

sunny_bellyboo

Songster
Dec 28, 2019
Ohio
It's a possibility. There is such a thing as air sac disease, but I find it difficult to associate it with a new chick. I rather suspect it's something transient, whatever is causing this.

However, if the chick is behaving lethargically with droopy wings, not eating, stops growing, then I'd suspect a disease. Unless the chick is acting sick, I'd give it more time to resolve on its own.
It was in a store for about 4 days before we got it

It has droopy wings and falls asleep when we hold it and doesn't move like others when we have it walking around.

azygous

Crossing the Road
10 Years
Dec 11, 2009
Colorado Rockies
With those symptoms, it could have airsaculitis, a bacterial infection.

Your options are to put the little chick out of its misery or try to treat. The treatment is involved and prolonged and involves an oral antibiotic. You probably should remove this chick from the others as the bacteria could be infectious to the rest.

Advice from your vet would be valuable as to how you decide to proceed.

Wyorp Rock

Enabler
Sep 20, 2015
Southern N.C. Mountains
It's ok

Yes other than the fact if it flips over it can't get back up
It was in a store for about 4 days before we got it

It has droopy wings and falls asleep when we hold it and doesn't move like others when we have it walking around.
Can you get a photo of her poop?
The flipping over and not being able to get up sounds neurological.
You can try vitamins that contain E and B1.

Sadly, since she was not too well when you got her, she may be failing to thrive.

Latest posts

Top Bottom