Swollen Duck ankle infection or break.... Help!

Feet are treats to treat, let me tell you.

But ducks love water, and from everything I've read on bumble foot, and from my own experience treating a rooster with a badly swollen ankle joint, it's my feeling that an epsom salt soak at ten to fifteen minute intervals, three to five times a day, may be more effective than a compress.

The compress can only hold so much water, the water evaporates, a germ friendly environment can fester, and the heat from the foot can add to that.

But clear iodine on the compress, no epsom salt water, and nicely wrapped with vet tape, on auto-repeat with the foot soaks, and doing this for a few days, that seems like a good option for your dear duck.

As for not allowing her to consume salt water, the water doesn't need to be deep. Just large enough for both feet so it doesn't feel too weird for her, and perhaps minimal room for walking around. If she's an active duck, take her out and let her rest on a towel and then put her back in for another few minutes.

It's a bit labor intensive, but once the routine gets rolling along, the flow of it will carry you through.

I know the thought of "surgery" is scary, but for the bumble that thing in there needs to come out. I've never done this myself, but in the spirit of self-education I've looked at every photo I could find and watched a few videos on YouTube. Each photo and video lessened the gross factor and I now feel I can do this should the need arise.

It's really just digging out a huge callous of sorts, tucked inside a foot pocket.

Lots of people on here say they were able to remedy the bumble only with epsom salt soaks and the clear iodine, so you're receiving good advice to be conservative.

The ankle, however, is curious. It sounds like it could actually be a separate issue, and if it is this could mean it's not quite the death sentence it would seem to be otherwise. So some questions for you:

I'm seeing bruising, and I'm also seeing two or three pinkish bumps. Are those swollen scales or actual bumps? I don't see red anywhere. And on the underside of the swollen joint I can see a shadow of something somewhat circular. Is that dirt or is there a shape of some kind under there?

Praying for your darling duck. You have a lot of great advice here and a good education. I hope she heals nicely, but I do know how uncertain these injuries can be.

Feet are treats to treat, let me tell you.

But ducks love water, and from everything I've read on bumble foot, and from my own experience treating a rooster with a badly swollen ankle joint, it's my feeling that an epsom salt soak at ten to fifteen minute intervals, three to five times a day, may be more effective than a compress.

The compress can only hold so much water, the water evaporates, a germ friendly environment can fester, and the heat from the foot can add to that.

But clear iodine on the compress, no epsom salt water, and nicely wrapped with vet tape, on auto-repeat with the foot soaks, and doing this for a few days, that seems like a good option for your dear duck.

As for not allowing her to consume salt water, the water doesn't need to be deep. Just large enough for both feet so it doesn't feel too weird for her, and perhaps minimal room for walking around. If she's an active duck, take her out and let her rest on a towel and then put her back in for another few minutes.

It's a bit labor intensive, but once the routine gets rolling along, the flow of it will carry you through.

I know the thought of "surgery" is scary, but for the bumble that thing in there needs to come out. I've never done this myself, but in the spirit of self-education I've looked at every photo I could find and watched a few videos on YouTube. Each photo and video lessened the gross factor and I now feel I can do this should the need arise.

It's really just digging out a huge callous of sorts, tucked inside a foot pocket.

Lots of people on here say they were able to remedy the bumble only with epsom salt soaks and the clear iodine, so you're receiving good advice to be conservative.

The ankle, however, is curious. It sounds like it could actually be a separate issue, and if it is this could mean it's not quite the death sentence it would seem to be otherwise. So some questions for you:

I'm seeing bruising, and I'm also seeing two or three pinkish bumps. Are those swollen scales or actual bumps? I don't see red anywhere. And on the underside of the swollen joint I can see a shadow of something somewhat circular. Is that dirt or is there a shape of some kind under there?

Praying for your darling duck. You have a lot of great advice here and a good education. I hope she heals nicely, but I do know how uncertain these injuries can be.
I checked her over this morning, they are bumps and sort of firm. The circular spot on the back of her ankle is a spot of some sort. It's not washing off and when I touch it it almost changes color then goes back. Like when you push on your skin and it turns white then back to pink. I soaked her feet in es bath for 15 minutes then applied the clear iodine. She wants to go outside and play with her pals really bad, poor girl.

I checked her over this morning, they are bumps and sort of firm. The circular spot on the back of her ankle is a spot of some sort. It's not washing off and when I touch it it almost changes color then goes back. Like when you push on your skin and it turns white then back to pink. I soaked her feet in es bath for 15 minutes then applied the clear iodine. She wants to go outside and play with her pals really bad, poor girl.
Bruises do something similar when you press and release them. But so does infection, so it's hard saying. I'm just wondering if she sprained her ankle in response to the growing sore on the bottom of her foot.

I only know the injuries I'm treating on my rooster. This is where others can help. What does a fracture or sprain in the ankle joint look like, versus an infection (early stage and full blast infection)?

These are the details I feel tend to be missing when I'm researching chickens.

(I had to edit out some text that showed up at the beginning of this comment. It was intended for a separate comment I'd like to post later.)

Penicillin would go in the breast.
I did a lot of reading last night about this.
All avian muscle injections are given in the breast, never the leg or thigh.
I called on an old friend of mine (retired vet (cats/dogs) he came out and looked at her. He feels it's infection and not broke. He showed me how to do the injection. I feel so much better. Thank you all for the replies and advice!! Starting penicillin as soon as it's room temp. I'll keep you all posted. Thank you all again!!!

I did a lot of reading last night about this.

I called on an old friend of mine (retired vet (cats/dogs) he came out and looked at her. He feels it's infection and not broke. He showed me how to do the injection. I feel so much better. Thank you all for the replies and advice!! Starting penicillin as soon as it's room temp. I'll keep you all posted. Thank you all again!!!
I'm so glad you have a vet to consult with to help guide your decisions. I just wonder what determines infection over a fracture or sprain. Did he narrate his observation and diagnosis?

I'm so glad you have a vet to consult with to help guide your decisions. I just wonder what determines infection over a fracture or sprain. Did he narrate his observation and diagnosis?
He felt her legs and checked them over, said the heat was a sign of infection to him. He admitted he never dealt with bumble foot (only dealt with cats/dogs) so wasn't too sure about all that. I explained everything to him, what I've been doing and how I'm not sure which it is break or infection. He asked me to let her down so he could see her move. She began limping to her pals and he said "she's putting to much pressure on that foot for it to be broken". He said to get some antibiotics right away, that that's what he'd do and give it a week. So..... That's what I'm going to do. He showed me how to give the injection, this was my biggest fear!

Back
Top Bottom