Swollen eye and eyeball seems pushed back??

TurnerEGGZ

Songster
7 Years
Apr 28, 2015
Aberdeen, North Carolina
Can anyone help me help my Winter girl? Her eye has been bothering her for a few days and I've tried just washing it and keeping her feather around it clean. Idk if she kicked some dirt in it while dust bathing or maybe from a rooster mating with her or if something is seriously wrong. We don't have any chicken vets nearby for me to take her to. Appetite and poop is all normal and she doesn't act sick. No wheezing or gurgling noises, no discharge. I brought her in and got her really cleaned up and drying her now by the fireplace. I'll keep her separated until I know she can see well enough again. I'm trying to add a picture of her but idk how :(

How can I get rid of it? I was thinking pus too but it seems hard, I was massaging eye when wiping with warm saline water on a paper towel but nothing was coming out or moving :( she is one of my favs so I sure hope it's something I can help her with!

How can I get rid of it? I was thinking pus too but it seems hard, I was massaging eye when wiping with warm saline water on a paper towel but nothing was coming out or moving
sad.png
she is one of my favs so I sure hope it's something I can help her with!
Chicken pus is like hard cheese. If it is pus, you need to figure out how to squeeze it out or do surgery to remove it.

-Kathy

-

Ok I may need step by step surgery instructions :( I tried Tylan 200 1cc for 3 days and no change. I had tried the warm compress and still no change and the eye is still swollen. The stuff is hard so I am assuming the cheesey like pus. No amount of rubbing or trying to "pop it" has worked either. Terramycin has not seemed to help her either because there is no change. Other than not being able to see well from it and knocking over her food and water, she is fine. Her poop did get a little runny while on tylan but it's almost back to normal now. I've been rinsing her eye daily and I do not see any worms like I've watched from you tube videos. I found this video of a guy getting the gunk out and before trying to perform it myself was wondering if this is the best way to go about it? Is there anything I can do to calm her down before making the cut and squeezing? And is there anything out there that will allow the chickens body to get rid of it on its own or is surgery the only option? I Read about Colloidal silver being just short of a cure-all and was wondering if I should try it first to see if just maaaaaybe....
Any info would be greatly appreciated, I just feel if there is any hope for her eyesight to return to normal I need to act sooner than later because her eye is starting to look cloudy.

That is the surgery I was wondering about... Just saw another video of same guy pushing a qtip from chickens mouth out the eyeball!!! I wish I knew what he was saying, like if it was to help clear sinus cavity... :/ it's so hard to watch her go through this. If only a vet for chickens was closer :(

Back
Top Bottom