Swollen Eye and Runny Nose

Mr Bojangles

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 26, 2014
Sturgis, KY
I've been looking at all types of threads on here. I'm sure I have one sick chicken here. My question is how sick. I'm thinking of getting the medicine. .. forgot name T something 50. Or vetrx I guess. I noticed the swollen eye today. Went to saline and neosporin the eye and noticed the runny nose. I need to go ahead and separate her tonight.... I was reading something about some sickness can be helped but not cured. Always be a carrier. Destroy the bird is best option. What should I try and when should that be an option

A swollen eye and runny nose does not necessarily mean a respiratory infection. You could have just an eye infection, and the pressure is causing the nose to run. If the chickens breathing okay? Is she sneezing or wheezing, or just runny? Any smell to her face? Is she eating, acting normal, or lethargic/hunched up? I would look up eye infections or wet pox and see if it could be those, and try treating that way. I haven't had to treat this before, so just trying to help, hopefully someone with more experience will chime in.

Quick update. I checked her mouth out. Everything looked fine comparing to the link abserbean posted. I sprayed her eye with saline and covered with Neosporin. Hopefully that will help. Tomorrow i will make a trip to rural king and local feed store to see what they have. Also through some Vaseline on her legs and another's. Looks like scaly legs. Wrapping a chicken leg with gauze tape is impossible alone in the dark with as flashlight! So legs didn't get wrapped... did notice on the other chicken her feathers came out very easy while trying to apply Vaseline to her legs. Weird. Rubbing it on, and came back with a clump of feathers.twice

Her pics are in another thread WORMS, RASPY BREATHING AND SCALY LEG post I did not too long ago. She seems hunched over. Both seem to eat and drink fine.

As you can see, her eye is getting worse. I've tried Neosporin. Then terramycin on the eye. Now treating the entire flock with oxytetracycline in the water since I've noticed sneezing by 3 other hens... noticed the eye getting bubbly, and nose running from only the same side. been giving her 1 shot of tylan 50. 1/2cc in the neck just under skin. Don't notice improvement in the eye. She seems to eat and drink fine! Laying normal too! She does keep to herself for the most part. I don't believe it was just a pecking. But I tend to think the worst. I'm lost and confused and don't know what to do. Trying to read up on this site and other sites. Tylan 50 shots was my last resort. Tonight was day 3 of the shots. Any more advice will be accepted gratefully!

Back
Top Bottom