Swollen Eye Bantam

MaxiMatt

In the Brooder
Aug 24, 2023
Hi everyone. Speckles has had bubbles in one eye for a couple of weeks now. We took her to the vet, and she gave us Chlorsig drops to apply twice a day for 5 days. We did this for 2 additional days with no results. The vet then recommended trying the VetRx. I found the instructions a bit confusing, but found a YouTube video in which he applied the oil warmed to his chicken’s comb, beak, wattle and under the wings. I gave this a go. I also saved the oily water for her to drink from. We have tried this for a few days now, and her eye lid is just swelling worse. I’ve tried looking for eye worms. I thought perhaps I saw a little white strand in her eye one morning, but I haven’t seen it since. I read that you can give chickens VetRx from the bottle, so I started that today (also started putting the Chlorsig drops back in her eye too). Not quite sure how else to help Speckles. We have heard her make make little noises (sneezes?), which does make me think it’s a respiratory issue. Her poop tonight was green and watery. Speckles is still eating, not that she eats much (she’s very fussy and never has a full crop). Even though she’s approx. 4 years old, she hasn’t laid eggs in months.

Attachments

• IMG_3035.jpeg
    IMG_3035.jpeg
    425 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_3037.jpeg
    IMG_3037.jpeg
    180.4 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
1. Is anyone else showing symptoms? Since you've been dealing with this for a week already, I would expect another bird to show symptoms if it was respiratory.

2. It's difficult to know exactly what's going on without tests... But those droppings could be because she's not eating much. I would try enticing her with scrambled eggs, wet mash, or anything she'll eat if it's too bad.

3. If it is a resp issue like CRD or MG, Tylosin powder can be added to the flock's water. I've never personally used it but ordered some for emergencies from Jedds.com. They'll be carriers for life and symptoms may flare up during times of stress.

For what it's worth... Here's what I've been doing....
I'm currently dealing with a swollen, bubbly eye as well. Luckily, her droppings are normal, but she was wheezing one day so just as a precaution, I sent swabs to Zoologix lab for testing for various respiratory issues (including MG) just to be certain. Cost was $124 plus $45 overnight shipping. Vet wanted $225 for same tests. All came back negative.

As I was waiting for the test, I was using vet rx as you described. I also created an herbal tea made from fresh oregano, thyme, cinnamon sticks, bay leaf, and rosemary. Let that steep then filter herbs out. Use 2 cups of tea per gallon of water to boost the flock's immune system.

I've been treating with Terramycin eye ointment 2x a day. I also created a salve using comfrey and have been rubbing that around her eye (of course being careful not to get too close to the eye and not using if there's any broken skin) It really seemed to reduce swelling.

I've dealt with so many swollen, bubbly eyes over the last few years and most of them have been caused by....tick bites!! So frustrating because we live in the woods and they ticks are almost invisible.

I wish you luck & hope Speckles feels better soon!

Thank you for your reply!

We have two other bantams, neither are showing symptoms yet. However, they only joined us recently. We purchased them hastily because our other two bantams died, and we didn’t want Speckles to be alone. We noticed bubbles in Speckle’s eye later that day. It is plausible that her condition was triggered by stress.

We’ve tried feeding her scrambled egg, finely chopped veggies, strawberries, yogurt, coconut etc. She usually won’t touch it. She also won’t eat pellets (we just purchased a new food without them because we’re always throwing them away). Is wet mash just the pellets soaked? Or soaked oats? We haven’t tried that. She’s now taught the two new pekins to stop eating too (they’re only pullets, but they’re bigger than her). I’ve noticed at night their crops are also not that full, but they ate well the first couple of days.

Thank you, I will check purchase the powder online.

I might also try the tea and look into the Terramycin, thank you.

My hen had a swollen eye that would not get better with tetramyacin ointment and eye drops and vetrx. Turned to yellow pus and I thought she was going to lose the eye. Vet gave us injectable antibiotics and cleared up in a couple of days.

My hen had a swollen eye that would not get better with tetramyacin ointment and eye drops and vetrx. Turned to yellow pus and I thought she was going to lose the eye. Vet gave us injectable antibiotics and cleared up in a couple of days.
What was the antibiotic called?

Back
Top Bottom