Swollen eye, could it be an abscess?

I smeared antibiotic salve (basically generic Neosporin from Costco) across her eye a couple times a day over 36 hours and the swelling completely disappeared. I thankfully never had to use the antibiotic injections. However, in reference to the "natural remedy" I can only comment on my own experience. I consistently use cider vinegar in the water for the simple reason that it encourages my hens to drink more, especially in warm weather. I had originally thought it was an old wives tale, but I put it to the test and can say that if I offer two waterers, one with vinegar and one without, the chickens will always drain the vinegar water first. I don't know why...maybe they like the taste?? Periodically I will also use an electrolyte/vitamin supplement powder in the water as a boost, but they don't seem to love it. On those days, I offer it in all the water sources or else they refuse it.

I smeared antibiotic salve (basically generic Neosporin from Costco) across her eye a couple times a day over 36 hours and the swelling completely disappeared. I thankfully never had to use the antibiotic injections. However, in reference to the "natural remedy" I can only comment on my own experience. I consistently use cider vinegar in the water for the simple reason that it encourages my hens to drink more, especially in warm weather. I had originally thought it was an old wives tale, but I put it to the test and can say that if I offer two waterers, one with vinegar and one without, the chickens will always drain the vinegar water first. I don't know why...maybe they like the taste?? Periodically I will also use an electrolyte/vitamin supplement powder in the water as a boost, but they don't seem to love it. On those days, I offer it in all the water sources or else they refuse it.
We recently started using acv after several chickens got sick, we found that it worked very well most of our chickens have gotten better, while some didn't which I think is just because they are just naturally sicker kinda of week. most of the flock has gooten so much better.

483697F6-FE2D-499F-8C2F-3DE665528B69-220-000000180C3911B9.jpg
Oh My Stars! That's awful. Hope it gets better.

Back
Top Bottom