Swollen eye in quail! Possible Coryza? Help

Update:
I have been gently squeezing the eye to remove pus and applying antiobiotic in the eye multiple times per day. The swelling has gone down a bit! I have ordered the antibiotics and they should be here within the next few days. No one else appears sick, and I have disinfected all of the hutches (with diluted germicidal bleach and veterinary grade hydrogen peroxide disinfectant). Im hoping all of these measures are enough to keep my birdies safe and healthy.

I worry about transfering it to my zebra finch. Will they become carriers and I will have to be careful of contamination for the rest of their lives?
Glad that the eye is better.

Without knowing the cause of his symptoms, it's hard to know if it can be transferred to your Finch or not. Getting testing would let you know what disease you are dealing with.

I was going to bring him to the vet if it didnt clear up with the antibiotics or of others got sick. Thankfully no one else is sick, and his eye is almost completely healed! The swelling has gone down completely and the redness is gone. This is just with using antibiotic ointment in the eye and cleaning the eye out multiple times per day. The baytril still hasnt come, but i will still use it on him to hopefully clear his system of any remaining infection and get him all better. Should i wait to use it on anyone else unless they have symptoms? Seeing as he is doing so much better, i am beginning to think he just got pecked or something and doesnt have a respiratory disease, but i will still be cautious with everyone. Thanks for tour help everyone!

I was going to bring him to the vet if it didnt clear up with the antibiotics or of others got sick. Thankfully no one else is sick, and his eye is almost completely healed! The swelling has gone down completely and the redness is gone. This is just with using antibiotic ointment in the eye and cleaning the eye out multiple times per day. The baytril still hasnt come, but i will still use it on him to hopefully clear his system of any remaining infection and get him all better. Should i wait to use it on anyone else unless they have symptoms? Seeing as he is doing so much better, i am beginning to think he just got pecked or something and doesnt have a respiratory disease, but i will still be cautious with everyone. Thanks for tour help everyone!
Glad to hear he's getting better!
If the eye is improving without antibiotics, then I would continue to care for it like you have been doing.
Save the Baytril for future use. See if he can recover on his own.

Back
Top Bottom