swollen eye, lethargic, laying rubber eggs

Plain neosporin or Terramycin ointment would be good to use on the wounds, so hopefully they will heal soon. If a vet is possible, I would take her in, but I would let her skin heal before trying anything else. BluKote should not be used near the eyes. Keep her away from flies until the wound is better. Let her visit with the flock in a dog crate with supervision over the next few days, just so they don’t rearrange the pecking order.

At the clinic now. Gave them a budget cap so we will see how this goes.

Alright guys so they took her back and she started bleeding more—they put her under and removed the plug. It had hardened so much that it was difficult even for them to remove and they said the plac I cut was over a vein/artery (can’t remember) hence the large amount of bleeding. Lucky me! Soooo it has been removed and they are going to put antibiotic beads in the wound and close it up. There we have it folks. $250 later. Learned my lesson.

I figured you guys are the type of people to enjoy a puss photo so here you go.

Attachments

• C2000A25-7320-4316-9C00-83DC2259A264.jpeg
    C2000A25-7320-4316-9C00-83DC2259A264.jpeg
    313.6 KB · Views: 707
First, let me say I am so happy you were able to get her to a vet. :hugs

I'm torn though, because I never know when to insist that people should see a vet or try something like this on their own, so I am very sorry if my advise suggesting you try this upset you. :hugs

I think this thread will be a valuable teaching tool, so I will be sure to give this link to anyone ese that has a similar problem.

First, let me say I am so happy you were able to get her to a vet. :hugs

I'm torn though, because I never know when to insist that people should see a vet or try something like this on their own, so I am very sorry if my advise suggesting you try this upset you. :hugs

I think this thread will be a valuable teaching tool, so I will be sure to give this link to anyone ese that has a similar problem.

I think because I waited too long it made it worse. I didn’t know what the issue was and I thought it would just go away so I would say if someone waits over 3 months to deal with this then they should go to the vet. It’s like it created a hardened shell around it. I wouldn’t have been able to remove it on my own so that made me feel a little less like a chicken (for lack of better word) for not doing it at home lol.

I’m happy I went through it and have the tools for next time rather than waiting.

Alright guys so they took her back and she started bleeding more—they put her under and removed the plug. It had hardened so much that it was difficult even for them to remove and they said the plac I cut was over a vein/artery (can’t remember) hence the large amount of bleeding. Lucky me! Soooo it has been removed and they are going to put antibiotic beads in the wound and close it up. There we have it folks. $250 later. Learned my lesson.

I figured you guys are the type of people to enjoy a puss photo so here you go.
Holy carp! That is gigantic!! So glad you could bring her to the vet..

How's she doing?

I’m having to bring her back in because the fluid is building up since they stitched it. Looks like it’s infected or close to it.

They are going to leave it open so fluid can drain—how does that work though? I’m afraid she will scratch it since she’s been doing that. I don’t understand how you can leave an open wound on a chicken...

Back
Top Bottom