Swollen eye, puss leaking out...What is going on?!?!?!

Tanichca

Sparkle Magnet
May 6, 2009
Akron, Ohio
1) What type of bird , age and weight. Silkie cockerel. Around 8 months old. Weight: ?

2) What is the behavior, exactly. One eye is swollen shut. Puss/liquid leaking out of the side. Bird cannot see out of that side. ETA update: Cleaned off some of the puss buildup. Eyelid is red and swollen. Puss is yellow, mixed with clear liquid. Eye is covered in a milky white film. Bird is still talkative and jumpy, still very active. There is no funny breathing or coughing, but there is a horrible
sickbyc.gif
smell

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? When he was a chick, that eye was always a bit watery, but i thought it was just a fluke. This swelling has been going on for a few day,s but i only learned of it this morning because my brothers have been caring for the birds while i was gone.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? No, none.

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. Not that i see. the swelling is all around the side of his head though.

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. He got out of the coop last week and flew into a thorn bush. When i got him back i didnt see any signs of trauma though.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. He is eating layer, mixed with some oatmeal. Drinking clean water.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Normal, when last i checked.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? Put in an isolated cage, small enough that he cant hurt himself, with his own personal feed and water.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? I am not sure, i dont have a lot of money.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. Ill post one up when my Dad comes home with the camera-phone.

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use Night: Coop. He sleeps inside a large bin full of hay, along with his sister. During the day my flock free-ranges.

Last edited:
One other thing: This guy is on the bottom of the pecking order, as my smallest rooster, could that have anything to do with it? Im really freaking out here, Chad is my lap-chicken and i do not want to lose him
hit.gif

i know, im being impatient, but i am bumping my own thread. Again. I just need someone to help me out, ive never had any sickness in my flock before.
barnie.gif

Don't stress too much... I'm sure someone on here will be able to help... in the meantime... rinse the eye with warm water, hold a warm compress on the swollen side to help bring out the infection. Some one will probably recommend an antibiotic, but I am not familiar and will leave that to the experts.

Just remember to stay calm... you being upset will upset your bird. Keep him warm, safe and fed till someone can give you more instruction.

It will be okay. I know how you feel, my girls are pets too.

Diana

Edited for spelling.

Last edited:
Ok, i wiped his eye with a damp rag, the eyelid is red and swollen. The eye itself has a milky film over it. He is completely blind on that side. The puss is yellow, and mixed with a clear liquid (chicken tears?)

do you notice any strange breathing? my wife's got a couple chicks with swollen watery eyes also, and in reading, I found a thread that mentions some type of respiratory problem. Be sure to separate the chicken in question from others until you diagnose the problem.

Back
Top Bottom