Swollen eye(s?)-Any ideas?

Update
  • I kept Muffin (the hen) inside last night because when I went to lock them up she was hanging by the coop door instead of perching, which is unusual for her.
  • Her lungs sound way more congested, but she's still active and able to interact with me.
  • Her eye has started to foam a bit at the corner (only in one eye, though.) Should I buy saline water for that, now?
  • Inconveniently, I'm going to be out of town from Thursday to Sunday next week. Are there any antibiotics that take about 5 days to work. (I know you're supposed to still give them to her for a bit after she stops showing symptoms, but I'd rather get the bulk of the medication done in case our petsitter messes something up.)

That sounds like mycoplasma or MG, but testing is the only way to know for sure. Tylosin or enrofloxacin are each given for 5 days, and can treat MG, but you would have to order them unless a local vet is willing to prescribe them.

Saline eye wash can be used to clean the eye or just wipe it clean. Use Terramycin eye ointment twice a day. You can find that at most feed stores if you ask for it.

Hi! None of the feed stores carried antibiotics and the vet in my town only had antibiotics for cats and dogs. I got this medicine called VetRX off of the internet and it seems to be working. Muffin feels so much better. Thanks for all the advice, y’all!!

Hi! None of the feed stores carried antibiotics and the vet in my town only had antibiotics for cats and dogs. I got this medicine called VetRX off of the internet and it seems to be working. Muffin feels so much better. Thanks for all the advice, y’all!!
Glad that your hen is doing better. Vet Rx doesn’t have any medications, but has camphor in it as Vicks has, along with some herb oils. Perhaps it was a peck wound to the eye. In the future, you can presently get some antibiotics online.

Back
Top Bottom