Swollen eye

mlcorey

In the Brooder
Mar 25, 2018
Oklahoma
Attending the girls today and noticed that one has a terribly swollen eye. Not sure what happened but it doesn’t look great! I’m fairly new at raising chickens and would appreciate any advice or suggestions. I’m attaching a couple of pictures. Thank you!

Attachments

• DDBA2A14-6D14-4278-8085-8845866DBC3A.jpeg
    DDBA2A14-6D14-4278-8085-8845866DBC3A.jpeg
    384 KB · Views: 22
Any other symptoms like coughing, sneezing, runny nose, lethargy, etc.?

It looks infected. Some common causes are respiratory illness, a peck/scratch to the eye or getting dirt/debris in the eye.

General eye care is to flush the eye with saline, remove any pus/discharge or debris from the eye and apply an ophthalmic ointment (Terramycin, Vetericyn eye gel or similar). If possible, flush the eye and re-apply ointment 2-3times a day.

No other symptoms that we've noticed. She's eating fine and we haven't noticed any coughing or sneezing. We have her separated from the group and we've been flushing the eye. We also gave her an injection of LA-200 as recommended by the lady from whom we bought several of our hens. Should we also use a topical? We have some VetRx.

Thank you for your response!

It looks infected. Some common causes are respiratory illness, a peck/scratch to the eye or getting dirt/debris in the eye.

General eye care is to flush the eye with saline, remove any pus/discharge or debris from the eye and apply an ophthalmic ointment (Terramycin, Vetericyn eye gel or similar). If possible, flush the eye and re-apply ointment 2-3times a day.

Where does one purchase the Terramycin or Vetericyn eye gel? I recently added four hens to my flock of 16. Unfortunately one (or all of them) must have been sick. I was heartbroken as the apparent respiratory illness spread - I separated 8 of my hens, medicated with Corrid and most recovered fairly well. I have 3 reamining girls that seem stagnant... one has both her eyes swollen completely closed and I don't think she can even see to find her food in the crate I have them in. I fed her water by eye dropper and tried to get her to eat today. I was wondering about a topical. I don't know where to get it.

No other symptoms that we've noticed. She's eating fine and we haven't noticed any coughing or sneezing. We have her separated from the group and we've been flushing the eye. We also gave her an injection of LA-200 as recommended by the lady from whom we bought several of our hens. Should we also use a topical? We have some VetRx.
Thank you for your response!
It's good that she is eating/drinking and that you are treating her. Personally, yes, I would flush the eye and remove any pus that is seen, then apply an eye ointment at least once a day if not more.

Where does one purchase the Terramycin or Vetericyn eye gel? I recently added four hens to my flock of 16. Unfortunately one (or all of them) must have been sick. I was heartbroken as the apparent respiratory illness spread - I separated 8 of my hens, medicated with Corrid and most recovered fairly well. I have 3 reamining girls that seem stagnant... one has both her eyes swollen completely closed and I don't think she can even see to find her food in the crate I have them in. I fed her water by eye dropper and tried to get her to eat today. I was wondering about a topical. I don't know where to get it.
Hi @KLamb Sorry to hear that you have some sick chickens. Respiratory illnesses are very contagious and easily spread. Corid is Amprolium which is a Coccidiostat - this only treats Coccidiosis and is not an antibiotic.

For Terramycin eye ointment or Veterycin look at feed stores like Tractor Supply. You can also order online through places like JeffersPetSupply or FirstStateVet.
If you feel that she needs antibiotics in addition to the topical treatment, you can use injectable Tylan50 which is also found at most feed stores.

It's good that she is eating/drinking and that you are treating her. Personally, yes, I would flush the eye and remove any pus that is seen, then apply an eye ointment at least once a day if not more.

Hi @KLamb Sorry to hear that you have some sick chickens. Respiratory illnesses are very contagious and easily spread. Corid is Amprolium which is a Coccidiostat - this only treats Coccidiosis and is not an antibiotic.

For Terramycin eye ointment or Veterycin look at feed stores like Tractor Supply. You can also order online through places like JeffersPetSupply or FirstStateVet.
If you feel that she needs antibiotics in addition to the topical treatment, you can use injectable Tylan50 which is also found at most feed stores.

OK, I went out to Tractor supply... they had Tylan 50 Injectable.... help me out... does this really get injected??? I need some guidance

Also they had Veterycin... I will try that and see what happens.

In chickens, I would give Tylan 50 orally. Dosage is 0.2ml per pound 2-3 times a day for 5 days. Just remove the needle and give a drop at a time, letting her swallow.

Back
Top Bottom