Swollen eye

ivyleechick

Chirping
Jul 2, 2020
Last night when putting our chickens away for the night we noticed Dot's eye and ear were swollen. Her eye was still swollen this morning and I am wondering what the best way to remedy this issue and what would have caused it?

Attachments

• 20210517_054508.jpg
    20210517_054508.jpg
    804 KB · Views: 37
Last night when putting our chickens away for the night we noticed Dot's eye and ear were swollen. Her eye was still swollen this morning and I am wondering what the best way to remedy this issue and what would have caused it?
Is it sneezing?or runny mucus from nose?

My Cochins' first Spring, they both got slightly puffy eyes. Then, one of my Buckeyes got it, too. I took her to the vet because I was worried it could be something horrible. The vet cut open the swelling, but only found clear fluid and nothing that seemed like infection, so I took her back home and just observed her until she got better.

Fast forward, and EVERY Spring since, one or both of my Cochins get puffy eyes for about a week and then it clears up. My best guess is that there is some plant growing that irritates their eyes. I haven't been able to pinpoint what it is, but they always clear up on their own. This year, Sentinel had one eye foofed up so much that it was completely closed in the morning for two days before the swelling went down. I put a little VetRX on the puffiness around her eye (NOT her eyelid) just in case it offered some relief, but I mostly just observed and made sure it got better on its own., and it did. This year was the puffiest that she has been, so it could have also either been a pecking injury, or maybe a bee sting?

I am not a vet and someone might have actual medical advice, but you might just want to keep an "eye" on it to make sure it doesn't show any signs of infection ad see if it clears up on its own.

She might have been pecked around the eye, or she could have symptoms of a respiratory disease, such as MG or coryza. Can you see any bubbles in the eye? Is that a peck mark near her eye? A sting could also cause swelling. Look for signs of respiratory infection, such as sneeze, lethargy, rattly breathing, head shaking, or gasping. If you see those, then I would get some tylosin here to treat for possible MG:
https://www.jedds.com/shop/tylan-soluble-100-g/

If the swelling starts to go down on it’s own, it would point more toward a peck or a sting.

Back
Top Bottom