Swollen eye

She never seems to be recovering fully. Its just that she keeps recovering a little and then getting even worse. I dont know...she seems pretty rough.

No, but I dont want to keep a MG positive in the flock. So I dont want her to not show any symptoms. Would antibiotics help her grow immune?
But do you know this is MG?
IF it is MG, then your flock has been exposed already.

Antibiotics can help with symptoms and treat infection, but they don't provide immunity. Birds can't build immunity to disease like MG. They will be carriers all their life.

But do you know this is MG?
IF it is MG, then your flock has been exposed already.

Antibiotics can help with symptoms and treat infection, but they don't provide immunity. Birds can't build immunity to disease like MG. They will be carriers all their life.
:( Oh. Well we will be going on a 3 day trip, starting tommorrow. My original plan was just to give her water and food and not apply neosporin for two days. We removed some pus yesterday, her eye looks weird. Could we start antibiotics and then discontinue it for 2 days? I thought antibiotics cant be used like that...

I wouldn't start the antibiotics until you can give the full course. It's not good to stop/start them.

So there was pus in the eye? Does it look better now?
There was pus, but she is still blind in the eye. I wouldnt say that it looks better. I looks quite odd (its clear and sort of swollen on her eyelid, making it harder to open, although she has been opening her eye more).

I don’t have anything useful to add treatment wise I’m afraid, but I just wanted to say that we have a hen whose eye clouded through and she does great. I don’t know what her issue was (it happened before I knew much about chicken health issues) but her eye is still there but cloudy and I think she’s either totally blind or nearly blind that side.

She has no issues within the flock and doesn’t appear to be in pain, behaves completely normally and all around the eye is healthy.

I just thought I’d mention it so that you know there’s a chance your girl might recover and cope fine even if blind that side. I hope she gets through it.

I don’t have anything useful to add treatment wise I’m afraid, but I just wanted to say that we have a hen whose eye clouded through and she does great. I don’t know what her issue was (it happened before I knew much about chicken health issues) but her eye is still there but cloudy and I think she’s either totally blind or nearly blind that side.

She has no issues within the flock and doesn’t appear to be in pain, behaves completely normally and all around the eye is healthy.

I just thought I’d mention it so that you know there’s a chance your girl might recover and cope fine even if blind that side. I hope she gets through it.
The others were pecking her eye. The thing is that she cant defend for herself, since she is still a chick.

Back
Top Bottom