1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Swollen Eye

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by NicoleFJ, Feb 5, 2013.

1. NicoleFJ

NicoleFJ New Egg

Feb 5, 2013
    Hi
    My name is Nicole.
    Due to unfortunate events my peacock "Charlie" got pecked in the eye by a rooster. His eye has been swollen for a week now and I've been trying home remedies such as tea bags. But the swelling has not gone down.
    Help? Any useful tips?

2. new 2 pfowl

new 2 pfowl Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2012
    California
    Hello Nicole,
    Poor Charlie! Can you post a picture of his eye?
    Then the peapeople will be better able to advise you.

3. NicoleFJ

NicoleFJ New Egg

Feb 5, 2013
    [​IMG] This is his good eye.
    [​IMG]

This is the eye that got poked.When we purchased Charlie, he got poked before we bought his last friday. The previous owner said the gave him a shot of penicillin but it hasn't gone down.

4. pedda munnangi

pedda munnangi Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2012
    Hi, If you inject 0.5cc of Tylan 200 right into the bump,the birds eye will return to normal in less than a week. Only one shot will do. I have treated exactly the same illness before a few times with complete success.. You can buy Tylan 200 on line- poultry medications, amazon. etc..

5. Frosty

Frosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    Hi Nicole, first I want to say Welcome to BYC!

Actually, both eyes look swollen, and my guess would be sinus infection. Here is a recent thread from someone else who had a pea with a sinus infection recently. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/738914/puffy-eyed-peafowl I think Charlie does need antibiotics, but not penicillin. Baytril or Tylan should help him.

6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I was just going to say that! And [​IMG], Nicole.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  7. NicoleFJ

NicoleFJ New Egg

Feb 5, 2013
    Thank you all for helpful information :)
    I appreciate it and I'm sure "Charlie" will to.
    -Nicole

8. new 2 pfowl

new 2 pfowl Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2012
    California
    I'm glad that you were referred to that recent thread, there is a lot of really useful advice there.
    I just wanted to add that since it looks like poor Charlie is swollen up on both sides and may be having problems with nostril blockage?
    You probably will want to do something for him ASAP.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by