Swollen Eye

NicoleFJ

Hatching
6 Years
Feb 5, 2013
Hi
My name is Nicole.
Due to unfortunate events my peacock "Charlie" got pecked in the eye by a rooster. His eye has been swollen for a week now and I've been trying home remedies such as tea bags. But the swelling has not gone down.
Help? Any useful tips?

This is his good eye.

This is the eye that got poked.When we purchased Charlie, he got poked before we bought his last friday. The previous owner said the gave him a shot of penicillin but it hasn't gone down.

Hi, If you inject 0.5cc of Tylan 200 right into the bump,the birds eye will return to normal in less than a week. Only one shot will do. I have treated exactly the same illness before a few times with complete success.. You can buy Tylan 200 on line- poultry medications, amazon. etc..

Hi Nicole, first I want to say Welcome to BYC!

Actually, both eyes look swollen, and my guess would be sinus infection. Here is a recent thread from someone else who had a pea with a sinus infection recently. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/738914/puffy-eyed-peafowl I think Charlie does need antibiotics, but not penicillin. Baytril or Tylan should help him.
I was just going to say that! And
welcome-byc.gif
, Nicole.

Last edited:
Thank you all for helpful information :)
I appreciate it and I'm sure "Charlie" will to.
-Nicole

I'm glad that you were referred to that recent thread, there is a lot of really useful advice there.
I just wanted to add that since it looks like poor Charlie is swollen up on both sides and may be having problems with nostril blockage?
You probably will want to do something for him ASAP.

Back
Top Bottom