Swollen eyelid and swollen flesh around eye

I've got a few rhode island reds that are 3 years old, and one araucauna.

they also have this symptom of swollen looking eyelids (not really impacting vision) and occasionally shaking heads.

i don't see any discharge or eye bubbles. we're on day 3. things don't seem to be getting much worse or changing.

we do have some poison ivy that's somewhat near where they rummage around in the yard.

so I've been trying to figure out if they potentially got into it. (are chickens affected by poison ivy/urishiol?)

or - if this is truly a respiratory disease that needs TYLAN.

let me go out and get some pics.

I've got a few rhode island reds that are 3 years old, and one araucauna.

they also have this symptom of swollen looking eyelids (not really impacting vision) and occasionally shaking heads.

i don't see any discharge or eye bubbles. we're on day 3. things don't seem to be getting much worse or changing.

we do have some poison ivy that's somewhat near where they rummage around in the yard.

so I've been trying to figure out if they potentially got into it. (are chickens affected by poison ivy/urishiol?)

or - if this is truly a respiratory disease that needs TYLAN.

let me go out and get some pics.
It would be good to start a whole new thread of your own for less confusion, and to get more people looking at it. Click here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures.10/post-thread

When tending to my girls yesterday I noticed one of them has just one swollen eyelid and the red flesh around her eye has puffed up also. She seems that she is eatting drinking and can see some what out of that eye But the puffiness was a little worse this morn and she keeps shaking her head( I can only imagine she feels the irritation). Ive read a few other threads and I think Ive found people use Terramycin eye ointment and i think I read something about vetrx. Ive never had a sick chicken so im not sure what to do. If anyone has any suggestions im all ears. I will try TSC today to see if they have any eye meds. I will try to get a pic of her also.
Thanks
I noticed the same thing with one of my girls. Is this something to just keep an eye on for now? No resp issues. She prefers not to roost either. Just stays on the floor in the coop. She is eating and drinking just fine though. Thoughts?

So I called around to all the feed stores in trown yesterday and not much luck. One store carried nothing and said to put neosporin on her eye. Blue seal only had Vetericyn which they said is for use on all animals and then I called TSC who didnt have anything in stock either except Vetericyn. Does anyone know if vetericyn is safe for use on chickens I know the product says for all animals but I dont want to damage her eye. My only other option would be to order meds online. Any suggestions would be helpful.

When tending to my girls yesterday I noticed one of them has just one swollen eyelid and the red flesh around her eye has puffed up also. She seems that she is eatting drinking and can see some what out of that eye But the puffiness was a little worse this morn and she keeps shaking her head( I can only imagine she feels the irritation). Ive read a few other threads and I think Ive found people use Terramycin eye ointment and i think I read something about vetrx. Ive never had a sick chicken so im not sure what to do. If anyone has any suggestions im all ears. I will try TSC today to see if they have any eye meds. I will try to get a pic of her also.
Thanks
try not to use chemicals, drugs and plastics near animals. they are more sensitive than us. homeopathy has a natural cure for everything. for eyes it could be euphraysia, pyrogen, nux vom... but you'd have to check the similarities between your choox symptoms and the remedy as they all have a purpose. google makes this all easy nowadays. you could ask a homeopath for help but she would need all the symptoms and chickens don't talk which makes it a little harder. i've had heaps of luck using homeo. however, charcoal is my favourite remedy as it is good for everything: pain, inflammation, infection, bacteria, gangrene, snake bites, odours, toxicity.... the list goes on. i even use it for anaesthesia. its efficacy is AMAZING. check out the book charcoalremedies.com (via website). author was dinsdale i think. canadian bloke. i make all my own charcoal as i'm lucky to live near a forest with lots of hard wood for the fire/cooking in winter. one can buy charcoal but i found it wasn't as potent as my own activated charcoal. must have put lots of love into it!! good luck with the little uns.....

Thanks
I use liquid silver on practically everything. I also use silver gel when I have to bandage an area. The liquid can be poured directly into the eye. It’s also safe for the chickens to drink. Just make sure it’s food/human grade. I use on them what I use on me. It kills most bacteria and viruses.

Back
Top Bottom